Thread: Is it possible to install XP from USB drive partition

Is it possible to install XP from USB drive partition

Basically, I have a GPT/MBR formatted drive, which has a unseen 400MB partition at the start so I can simply stick XP on partition 2, 3 or 4. Will it actually work, or will I get a discontinue 0x7B error right around wherever it would give the drive/partition list in text mode setup. I know how to do install the XP from USB drive and I am doing many try to install XP from USB driver. Every time installation can stop automatically. For this issue I want solution.

Re: Is it possible to install XP from USB drive partition

I am installing XP from USB drive It is possible. First, You format the USB HDD/Flash drive with a logical partition, or else the drive assignments got tilted (e.g., I install XP with multiple partitions but the USB drive was always assigned the letter )Then I locate all the CMD script in $OEM$\cmdlines.TXT on the CD to look for a file on the USB drive to describe the drive the files are. Then all the updates/driver/... run straightforwardly from the USB hopefully it is work for you.

That is true you need to try.
    Here, you still speculate if you set folder in single ISO and use grub4dos chart it as HD1, do the PROTECTION MODE still work. Because you setup from real USB CD Rom not an iso. You just to follow the steps you can see when you install from USB drive. Try to make it clear:
    The USB takes grub4dos as boot part the content is simply XP files and folders which doesn't have file later than booting grub4dos chart USB hard disk ISO which contains file as HD1, and then sequence loader the boot sector file of XP setup CD.

The "trick" of the "XP " is simply that of loading through grub4dos mapping a lesser image that appears to the NT booting IDENTICAL to the real partition on hard disk.
    During "real mode" the mapped picture is accessed, during "protected mode" the real divider is loaded.
    This allows for two newish things:
    1) booting starting USB on PC with no or faulty booting from USB support
    2) speed up the booting on system with USB-2.0-chips-but-only-USB-1.1 speed support-while-booting, since simply the files in the smallish mapped image is overloaded with the USB BIOS routines whilst the big number of folder on the divider are loaded through the native NT drivers, at USB 2.0 speed
    In the exacting case you pose it could have the gain of having a permanent LUN1 booting other than still with the "USB_multiboot" tricks a changeable fraction on LUN2, in further words you would only need to run the manufacturer Tool one time and setup the hard disk SIGNATURE of the LUN2 once, once which you would be free - within limits - to change the inside of LUN2 with usual file tools. Is very helpful to you install the XP.