Thread: How do I move windows files from programs?

How do I move windows files from programs?

Hi I am using the dell vostro laptop from the last few months and it is serving me the bets. I am having the windows 7 as the operating system and Intel core 2duo as the processor. I want to try an unusual thing on my system, as when I installed the operating system on my laptop then automatically it went on the C drive and all rest of my data is on the D and e drive. Now the thing here is that I want to move all the data that I have on the C drive and all the windows program files on the D drive. I have tried this thing earlier but somehow unable to do the same. First of all I want to know is it possible to do. And if yes then please let me know how to do it. Please help me in this case.
    Last edited by Dakshina; 01-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Re: How do I move windows files from programs?

You may want to use the ProgramFilesDir registry entry to change the location of the Program Files folder. Additionally, you may want to modify every reference in the registry to point to the new Program Files folder. You may also want to move the contents of the original Program Files folder to the new location. However, we do not test changes to the default location of the Program Files folder. Therefore, we do not recommend or support modifying the ProgramFilesDir registry value to change the default location of the Program Files folder. When you set the ProgramFilesDir registry value to use a location other than the default location, Microsoft hotfixes, updates, and security updates do not update files that are in the default location. Therefore, you may experience system instability and unexpected problems with Microsoft programs and software updates. For example, you may experience any of the following problems:
    • Microsoft hotfixes, updates, and security updates may not be installed correctly.
    • New versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Windows Media Player may not be installed correctly.

Yes it is possible to change the drive of the program files and also for the other data that you have. And to the same you have to follow the below mentioned steps:
    1. First of all Click on the Start ,
    2. Then you have to click on the Run
    3. And than type regedit and click OK.
    4. After that you have to locate the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    5. Then you have to just right-click the ProgramFilesDir registry value,
    6. Where you will find the Modify buitton just clic on it.
    7. Then the Value data box window will open in that value data box you have to type the type the default location for the Program Files folder,
    8. And after that you have to click and then click OK.

According to me you should not move or remove any things from the program files manually. What it will do is it will not remove the file completely infect it will corrupt the same. Now what you have to here is that just remove the files by using the ADD REMOVE program from the control panel. Instead of moving the files and folders from the program you can move it from other drives to C. But it is not possible of changing the location of the program files.

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that to the same task you have to do the reinstallation of the operating system. The thing here is that if you have to change the exact location of the program files than you have to it by reinstallation only. Now what you have to do here is that just copy all the data from d drive to any disk or USB drive and then install the windows 7 in the d drive make sure that while installing you choose the proper path or drive. And then paste all the data of D drive into the C drive. I hope that it will solve your problem.

I am also facing the similar kind problem, the thing here s that I am having windows XP on the c drive of mine and I want to install the Windows 7 on the same. Is it possible for me to do the same? If yes then please let me know how to the same. I am having two drives each drive has 100 GB memory. Or I have to do the installation on the other drive. Actually the other drive contains all the data and I don’t want to mix it up with the program files. So please give me solution on how to deal with problem.

It seems to me that you have done totally wrong partition of your drive. If you have 200 ZB hard disk that you did you portioned it into tonally 2 possible drives. You should have portioned it in four parts of 50 GB each, which may have helped you to install the windows XP and windows 7 on two different drives. Now the thing is that if you will install both windows XP and windows 7 it can give complications. So better try and install it on two different drives.