Thread: System freezes while transferring data from old hard disk in Windows 7

System freezes while transferring data from old hard disk in Windows 7

I have a Dell Laptop and the it is been installed with Windows 7. I had a old Hard disk in which my useful data is been stored. So I hooked up the disk to my laptop for transferring the same but then system freezed. I do not know what could have caused this. I thought the HDD may not be coping with the system so I tried hooking a different disk but still the result was same. It would basically hang during chkdsk or robocopy. So please help me out or suggest a better solution through which I can sort the thing. I want the data of from my hard disk back.

Re: System freezes while transferring data from old hard disk in Windows 7

The issue basically seems to be with the operating system that you have installed. It could be that you may have upgraded the system. So I would suggest you to make a clean install of the system and then make it work as required. All you need to do is to follow a procedure that will let the thing to be processed. First you have to make use of the bootable disc of Windows 7 and make it boot. Then format the system completely. Now install the fresh new copy of the same and install the drivers well. I hope you may then be able to work well and function without any problem.

Trouble shoot the USB port of your system. You may then be able to get sort of the thing as needed. Check out for the steps that is been mentioned as below:

• You have to first open the start menu option and then click on All programs. Then select the Windows Update and then express. Now check for the latest update available
    • Now click on install updates if the service pack is been listed and attempt to use the USB port
    • Now go to the control panel and then click on performance and maintenance. then click on system and navigate through hardware tab
    • Check out for Device manager and then scroll down to entry label that is "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." Expand by clicking on the plus sign
    • Right-click the first entry and choose "Uninstall. Repeat this for all ports
    • Now let the Found new hardware to be processed and then install the same
    • Restart the system and then check out by transferring the data

Another way through which you can make the issue to be sort dis by installing the fresh new update BIOS pack. You have to check out for the updated version of BIOS on Dells official page and get it downloaded. You have to double click on the BIOS upgrade file and follow out the instructions that will be guided to update motherboard's bios. After the upgradation is been done you have to restart the system and then try to plug the device well for transferring the data. I hope you may then be able to transfer the data without letting the system to get freeze. Check out.

It seems that you have not installed the NIC driver. You have to get the NIC driver and make it install to the system well. As it is been done you may then be able to perform the act without any problem. The NIC driver is essential. Get the updated pack of the same and make it install to the system as required. It will be better that you first make the system to run under safe mode and perform the installation of the driver. As this installation is been done you then have to restart the system under normal mode and then perform the transferring of data.

A malware or threat may also be causing the issue. For getting the thing to be sorted well for you it will be better that you first check out by scanning the system using a powerful antivirus application. Now the application will detect the threat and remove it from the system if there is any. Restart the system after performing the act and then look out for the change. I hope this will solve your issue.