Thread: WINNT.SIF answer file for disabling services

WINNT.SIF answer file for disabling services

I am a well known computer user and had been using the windows XP from past several years. I am well aware about the services provides by the XP. There are most use full services along with the least favorite services which I do not want in my regular basis. I want to put out of action some of the services which I think not necessary so that my PC can perform well. Is it possible to write it in unattended WINNT.SIF file or should I write the separate command file?

Next time before posting the issues describe what kind of services you want to disable in windows. Yes there is a possible way to disable the some of the services which interrupts the PC performance. I will give a example of Firewall Disable option in winnt.sif file.Open the file in notepad format. In that search for Windows Firewall name. Under that edit as Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall and set the mode value to 0.

I didn’t get your issue. I think you want to stop some of the components installing to your PC during the total installation. The unattended answer file will allow us to stop installing it. Some of the examples are given below to stop components.
    • Windows Messenger-> msmsgs=off
    • MSN Explorer 7 -> msnexplr=off
    • FreeCell game-> hearts=off
    • Minesweeper game-> minesweeper=off
    • Pinball game-> pinball=off
    • Solitaire game-> solitaire=off
    • Spider Solitaire Game-> zonegames=off

I don’t think that there is a way to disable services once it is completely installed on your PC. You can modify the winnt.sif file before the installation. The only way to stop it is to uninstall it.I am not that whether Microsoft made this feature on their latest windows OS or not. OK. What kind of services you want to get rid off and for what reason. Can you mention it?

The main problem is you can’t turn off the services once it is installed. For this you have to use registry file or command file. Before altering the services value please make a backup copy of it. Now change the value of the services which you want to run and stop. Then add a copy of value that you changes to registry file and run it using the command line.