Thread: Slow performance in Dell Dimension 1100 after installing windows Vista

Slow performance in Dell Dimension 1100 after installing windows Vista

I have a Dell dimension 1100 system with 512 MB of RAM, 320 GB of of internal hard disk space. I use my computer mostly for playing games and my elder brother uses it for his office work. A few days back my brother changed the operating system, first it was Windows xp but now it is Windows Vista. Since then my computer has slowed down a bit and it has slower down the speed of my games too. Please suggest me is it because of the change in O/S or some other reason?

Re: Slow performance in Dell Dimension 1100 after installing windows Vista

The system you are using is quite old, nevertheless you said your recently changed the operating system. Windows Vista is indeed an advanced operating system with lot of advanced features. But most of these features are of very few use for the common users. You said you use your computer for playing games only and if your brother has installed Vista just for a change, then I would suggest him to switch back to the previous O/S.

I agree with what Devasis said, Windows Vista is a very bulky operating system. But if your brother is not willing to change the operating system, then I will suggest you to upgrade your RAM. Your system is configured with 512 MB of RAM . If you want to boost up your game speed , go for a 2GB RAM. But if you think that switching back to your previous O/S will make your computer up and running again then go for it.

Well I think try few simpler things before going for such big changes. As you said your brother uses the computer for official works. Then he would be a frequent user of the internet services and would have downloaded a lot of applications. Meanwhile he would have downloaded a lot of junk files in your system, which might be the reason for the slow performance rather than the change in O/S . Another suggestion would be to download a disk cleanup utility and run a disk clean up in your computer system.