Thread: Strange Sound Blaster problem

unsure Strange Sound Blaster problem

I have an old Dell Dimension computer running Windows XP. I bought it new in 2003. It's been running fine until the video card began to go out. I bought a new ATI Radeon card (AGP) to replace the old Radeon 9800. The new card fit the slots OK, but it didn't have a receptacle for a cable that attached to the old card -- so I had to leave the cable unattached. But the video works fine. Didn't even need to load the software that came with the card.

That fixed the video problem. But something weird is going on now. The sound (not system sound, but any other sound) cuts out after an hour or so. After startup, the Control Panel recognizes my audio card (Sound Blaster Live! 5.1) and everything is fine. But after an hour or so, it no longer recognizes any audio device. I have to reboot the bring back the sound.

The drivers for the Sound Blaster are from late 2002. I tried downloading new drivers from the Creative website, but when I try to install them, I get an error message saying the computer can't recognize any Sound Blaster driver (and this is even when the sound is working OK).

Appreciate any comments. I don't know why replacing the video card would produce this problem!

Re: Strange Sound Blaster problem

It is recommended to use the compatible Graphic card with the system that you are using. I have gone through the problem then to make sure about the issue remove the Graphic Card and then see whether you are getting any sound issue. If yes then it is better to replace the new one with the compatible one. Also let me know about the result with the same.

unsure Re: Strange Sound Blaster problem

Thanks, Salvatore.

But if I remove the graphics card, I won't be able to see anything on the monitor, right?

Re: Strange Sound Blaster problem

But if I remove the graphics card, I won't be able to see anything on the monitor, right?
    Some motherboard have integrated video card. In such motherboard, you can watch the display even after removing the graphic card. And there are less motherboard in which there are no integrated card, in such scenarios you cannot see the display after removing the graphics card. You might have got the difference.!!