Thread: ubuntu on Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1

ubuntu on Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1

I have recently bought a new computer system which is a Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1 and this laptop has a windows operating system installed on it. I want to install an Ubuntu operating system on this laptop. Can you guys tell me that is it possible to have this OS on this notebook or not. Does it run properly according to its hardware? How do i start installing this OS?

Re: ubuntu on Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1

I had an ubuntu running on my SONY VAIO-VGN-FZ21J. Everything was of the box. Had out installing Ubuntu on a USB stick and install from the USB stick before boot. So I could test the entire hardware. The problem was the battery life of the Vaio FZ21 only. It was simply bad <2.5 h (under Windows). So there is no mean to use your laptop just for 1 and half hour or may be less then that.

The new version of Ubuntu 8.10 with the nickname "Intrepid Ibex" brings even the previous several ways to install Hardy with like. Who has already installed an older version of Ubuntu, this can upgrade directly from the Internet. To Ubuntu first try, you can also Ubuntu 8.10 booting from CD and in live use for free. Do you like the system, install it on disk. Who does not partition for a first test wants to can install with Wubi Ubuntu on a Windows partition.

Very Urgent call install directly on the boot menu. System requirements: Your computer should be equipped with at least a 700 MHz processor. Would you like to use complex graphic effects that suggest the Ubuntu Developer 1.2 GHz. In addition, 384 MB RAM, 8 gigabytes of disk space and a graphics card that provides a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels, may be present. The Ubuntu version can in the 32-bit system version you install on 64-bit systems. A 64-bit version is also available for download.

All you need is 8 GB of space on the partition. Wubi requires an ISO image of the Ubuntu installation CD. Start the Ubuntu installation with wubi.exe. ideal for beginners: If you've done the settings in this window, no further questions is Wubi. Top left, choose the target partition, including you determine how much space in gigabytes Ubuntu will be available. It should be at least 6 GB, 8 GB is better. You set up your user account. Enter a short log-in name and password you have to repeat again in the field below.

To install Ubuntu independently, you must shut down your computer, then reboot with the Ubuntu CD in your CD-ROM. 1) The purpose of this maneuver is to load a module system installation operating, it must operate before any other task is started. For most newer computers, the factory configuration of the computer is already set so that the CD-ROM is the first device in which the computer will attempt to load an installation tool. Thus, the following procedure does not usually require extra handling.

hokage9 Guest

That's very possible ti install 2 OSs in one laptop.

I've Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1 which has some problems to install Linux OS.

Installing ubuntu on Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1 is same as you install it on other machines. No changes in it. I think that you should be aware about other things that are important to know. Most hardware components installed on the machine are compatible with Linux. However, there are exceptions of modem, USB port and the MPEG decoder. The video and sound cards installed are partially compatible. The sound card is compatible with Linux thanks to the support of Microsoft Sound System and Sound Blaster. If you want to use MIDI on Linux, you need to compromise your sound input card. In this case, do not use the Sound Blaster. If you need MIDI and sound input, you may want consider buying OSS / Linux, which enables all the capabilities of the soundcard. Card equipped with the VAIO is Yamaha OPL3SA, and OSS / Linux has full support for it. It seems that the wavetable synthesizer mentioned in the specification of the machine is already a software synthesizer, so you will not lose any practical possibility with this sound card driver. As I write these lines, the OSS / Free 3.8, which supports this soundcard as the audio controller Yamaha OPL3-SA1. So first you will have to check all these things.