Thread: Only "Airport" connect option available on Snow Leopard

Only "Airport" connect option available on Snow Leopard

When i was in Japan, I used to connect my macbook to an internet connection by using an USB ethernet adapter. Network Prefs was all grayed out and i was having only an option to use an Airport to connect wirelessly. So is there any such settings on the Snow Leopard itself which does not provide you any option other then an Airport one. I have tried plugging an adapter but the MBA didn't recognize it. Any ideas ?

Re: Only "Airport" connect option available on Snow Leopard

I guess you are not having the proper drivers installed on your macbook air due to which you are not getting any other options to get connected with an internet connection from your laptop. I suggest you to search for the latest driver for mac of the hardware which you might be trying to connect with your macbook. I have seen such problems when i was having macbook some years back. But once you install the drivers for the modem which you may connect to have an internet connection then make sure that your laptop has the drivers for the same. Then you will surely be having an option other then Airport to connect with an net connection.

I assume that you would be using a modem to connect your macbook with an ethernet connection instead of connecting it with an Airport connection. And it seems like your Snow Leopard does not have a proper drivers installed according to the modem which you are trying to connect with the laptop. I suggest you to go to an official website of your modem where you have to search for the driver for mac os x. Install them and reboot your laptop. Now check that is there any option available other then an Airport.

Dr. V Guest

Seems like the firmware issue of the manufacturer of the installed WLAN module, since my iMac (no problems) has a different ID than the manufacturer MB. You have to open WLAN with MAC filtering. Yes, I know that it is uncertain, but in most neighborhoods there are completely open networks that are more interesting for the curious. Now If it gets stuck by someway then just turn off the filter on and off and check that it works or not. Good luck!

I have a big problem with the MacBook. Despite good connection, the WiFi connection is having an irregular intervals tears every now and then. While surfing the net, Airport's status suddenly gets to zero and the connection is gone. However, it is absolutely ruled out that the connection is too weak - the router is then 10 meters and other Macs (PowerBook, PowerMac) shows absolutely no problems. Most probably connection breaks up while downloading the large files after which i have to manually select the WLan and it works for few minutes. What could be the problem here?

Sounds like a software problem. The method that is because the wireless encrypted? In the Utilities folder is the program console, so you can watch various service protocols. To do this you click the top left of the icon "protocols", it opens a sidebar, where you pick the system log. Make the time right after the next WLAN collapse, perhaps what the system writes to the log of the incident.

The problem can also arise in connection with the router, maybe there is still a firmware update for the router. For us the MacBooks run all day on wirelessly without interruption, as the router is left with an Airport Extreme rum, just so my guess is it should be related to the router only. Also check whether time is on at the time Bluetooth on MacBook, just make it off otherwise. Issues could be related to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi should be resolved by the software "channeling".