Thread: How to set files as Hidden/Unhidden in Snow Leopard

How to set files as Hidden/Unhidden in Snow Leopard

I have recently installed a Mac OS X on my laptop and i have figured it out that how you can view the hidden files on your hard drive. Only thing which i don't know is setting by which you can view all the hidden files automatically and similarly how can i make the settings in order to hide the files. After all i am new to this operating system so please help me!

Re: How to set files as Hidden/Unhidden in Snow Leopard

Hide system files is on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 as easy as the invisible Mac OS X display system files. One only needs to enter a line in Terminal and press ENTER so that the system files from Mac OS X Snow Leopard are hidden. Open Terminal.app: Finder - Applications - Utilities - Terminal.app. Now, enter only the one-line command in Terminal.app to hide the system files from Mac OS X. The command to the Mac OS X Snow Leopard is again hidden system files: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles False; killall Finder. Just press ENTER and the system files from Mac OS X 10.6.3 are hidden.

Now to my folder again as usual. And command lines in the terminal window to copy the two was not very serious. What works are not the numerous references to the Apple support page. The two key commands "sudo. / SetHidden / hidden_MacOS9" are packed differently in Leopard than in Tiger. I then using Pacifist these files from my installation DVD dug out. They have copies in a folder and start from there (other evidence was not the support site). As a result nothing had changed the situation in my folders on.

After searching a bit about the Mac OS X, I have found total three ways by which you can hide the files or folder on your hard driver which has been accessed by using the Mac OS X operating system. I have provided all three of them as follows.
    • The name of the file or folder starts with a "." (Period)
    • The "invincible" attribute
    • The name of the file or folder in the /. Hidden file

I have providd whole information about the name of the file or folder starts with a "." (Period). The standard Unix way to make a file or folder invisible, the file name to start over with a point. Unfortunately, files can be but the Finder does not designate a point at the beginning. So here you have the Terminal (Utilities, shift-apple-U in the Finder) endeavor. Hidden files can be played with the command ls-a's. Can you rename a file in Terminal with the command mv [old filename] [new file name], eg mv. sichtbar.txt versteckt.txt. That's the same with folders - if they want to hide a folder so can they in the terminal with mv "My Folder" is displayed. My Secret "folder and the folder will do from now on no more in the Finder. The quotation marks are necessary if the file or folder names contain spaces.

Other two techniques has been posted by me as follows out of which first is The "invincible" attribute : Every folder and every file on Mac OS X attributes or "bits" that can be set or not set. The "invincible" attribute can not be adhered to the Finder, but only with a separate program, such as XRay or in the "Developer Tools" included "setfiles" program that can run only in terminal but himself.
    • / Developer / Tools / setfiles-V [path to file] is the attribute a (hidden file), and
    • / Developer / Tools / setfiles-av [path to file] file makes visible again

The name of the file or folder in the /. Hidden file : The . Hidden file itself is a hidden file and Panther OS X was the last in which it was ever used. Nevertheless, she still works on Tiger, if one port. In the. Hidden file, you can enter the names of folders, files and programs that should be hidden in the Finder. ". The hidden file can be found - or rather was in the top directory / (root folder)."

Using the program like an Invincibles are not so bad to hide or unhide the files or folder on your mac os x which helps you to find as you can switch the that he show hidden files. Only caution you need to take with the use of such tools, or even with the use of the terminal is that, if they do not know exactly what they do, the system can damage.