Thread: Wireless Adapter install using NDIS Wrapper?

Wireless Adapter install using NDIS Wrapper?

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit on my Intel laptop and when try to install wireless adapter network, it is not getting installed.I have NetGear WN311T adapter and I would like to try to get it working manually. I do not have any experience with this so if possible provide detail information to install wireless adapter as I am not familiar with what is NDIS stand for. Thank you in advance for your valuable suggestion.

Re: Wireless Adapter install using NDIS Wrapper?

Have same issue with Netgear adapter unable to install wireless adapter on Ubuntu. I have downloaded the latest ndiswrapper-1.56 file an dhave placed this on my desktop in Ubuntu 10.10. So can any one tell me what are the steps to install NDIS wrapper? I have search for this on Google but did not get any relevant reply to this issue and the instructions seem to be conflicting on how to install it without using Synaptic. Any help would be appreciated.Please give detail instruction as I am not from technical background.

The NDISwrapper module is already installed with Ubuntu you just need a few packages.Even if wireless network card is not having native Linux driver you can still get it working with NDISwrapper. It is a Linux module and allows Ubuntu to use windows driver. See whether you chipset is known to work with NDISwrapper you can know name of the chipset just issue lspci command in terminal and it will be listed over there.

Before you install any wireless driver with NDISwrapper make sure that no other driver is trying to make use of your wireless card. Ubuntu is prepacked with necessary NDISwrapper module pre-installed but you just need the NDISwrapper-utils package to make it working. There is Graphical interface for NDISwrapper which is also known as NDISgtk. This interface helps you to install,uninstall and automatically install drivers. If you have access to internet through some other media when logged in Ubuntu make sure that multiverse and universe repositories are enabled.Install the NDISgtk package from Ubuntu repositories type "sudo apt-get install ndisgtk".

If you do not have access to Internet even then you can install NDISwrapper utils from DVD. If you are planning to install from that then repository in which NDISwrapper can found is on the CD but not in the live session. You need to boot in new Ubuntu installation and then reinsert CD. You will be asked whether you want to add package on the CD to your list of repositories.Procedure to install NDISwrapper-utils: put the CD into drive and Click System/Administration/Synaptic package manager and browse for NDIS

Thank you for your valuable suggestion and I have successfully get installed NDISwrapper and that part of the process is working fine. But the new issue is that I need to get my hands on driver .inf files.I am having windows exe file which install the drivers on windows platform.I have tried cabextract and it gives up an error. How can I get .inf file out of the exe?

I am having Airlink Golden N USB Adapter with model number AWLL6075. Usually model AWLL3026 works with Linux automatically thinking this in mind I figured that if I have to use NDISwrapper I will try to get the installed Netgear WN311T.In comparison to PCLOS which I had installed on my computer for few days, I am not impressed with Linux offerings.I got surprised that Ubuntu loads slower than windows 7 so I think Linux would be a bit more wireless friendly.And package manager relies completely on Internet connection to work fine but you still need to install some other packages in order to be successful in installing.It will make sense if this product are installed by default.

I need to install WINE pkg, NDISWRAPPER, and WINDOWS WIRELESS DRIVERS in order to install driver for WN312T on Ubuntu 9.01. i follow the below procedures:
    1]First install NDISwrapper from Synaptic. See that NDISgtk,NDISwrapper-utils,NDISwrapper are checked.
    2]From ubuntu software center install Windows wireless drivers.
    3]From Synaptic install Wine to install packages from sympatic type application name in the search box you with to use.
    4]Insert WN312T disc in box , move to the Autorun on disc and install.
    5]Navigate to System/Administration and select Windows wireless drivers and open it. Select option to install new driver
    6]Restart the box
    Hope this will solve you issue and you will get it running.