Thread: How to uninstall ntfs-3g ?

How to uninstall ntfs-3g ?

I had recently installed a native NTFS rw on my Mac OS X computer. But the problem is that whenever I try to uninstall ntfs-3g from the PrefPane, I get an error message which says "ERROR(Non-zero exit value: 101)". Also when I try to remove it with the help of a script, I have
    ~ root# /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh
    This script will remove all NTFS-3G files installed with NTFS-3G.pkg.
    You may be asked for your Administrator password.

NTFS-3G not installed... aborting.
    How can I uninstall it then? I even repaired the drive with chkdsk on my pc but still it didn't work ?

Re: How to uninstall ntfs-3g ?

Even I had faced a similar issue while uninstalling ntfs-3g files from my computer. I think all of my NTFS drives have been corrupted due to this files. I don't think there is any solution to fix this problem except going for some commercial product which can solve this problem. This is how I tried to uninstall it. The command that was used was "$ sudo port uninstall ntfs-3g". It asked me for the password and I have entered it correctly but then I got the error message "Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: ntfs-3g not registered as installed." I don't think there is any solution to uninstall ntfs-3g on Snow Leopard. I think Apple has not included this feature in this OS or may be it has been removed.

Here are some shell commands that uninstalls NTFS-3G from your Snow Leopard computer:

Code:
    sudo rm -r /Library/PreferencePanes/NTFS-3G.prefPane
    sudo rm -r /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs
    sudo rm /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /sbin/newfs_ntfs-3g
    sudo rm /usr/local/bin/fuse_wait /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g.probe /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g_daemon /usr/local/bin/ntfscat /usr/local/bin/ntfscluster /usr/local/bin/ntfscmp /usr/local/bin/ntfsfix /usr/local/bin/ntfsinfo /usr/local/bin/ntfsls
    sudo rm -r /usr/local/include/ntfs /usr/local/include/ntfs-3g
    sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libntfs.* /usr/local/lib/libntfs-3g.* /usr/local/pkgconfig/libntfs-3g.pc
    sudo rm /usr/local/sbin/mkntfs /usr/local/sbin/ntfsclone /usr/local/sbin/ntfscp /usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel /usr/local/sbin/ntfsresize /usr/local/sbin/ntfsundelete
    sudo rm -r /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g /usr/local/share/doc/ntfsprogs
    sudo rm /usr/local/share/man/man8/libntfs-gnomevfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkfs.ntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mount.ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.probe.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscat.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsclone.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscluster.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscmp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsfix.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsinfo.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfslabel.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsls.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsmount.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsprogs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsresize.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsundelete.8

Ok thanks for the help but it didn't actually solved my problem. I am unable to uninstall ntfs-3g files from my computer. The problem is when I type in the code "sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh" I get "NTFS-3G not installed... aborting." Since this is similar to my workaround I have the same message reappearing. I then thought that it might be due to the /Library/Receipts folder and reconfirmed if it exists but I as I thought it doesn't appear anywhere on my computer hard disk. What else can be done?

But why do you want to uninstall ntfs-3g? You can even disable the ntfs-3g from the Preferences instead of uninstalling it. That's enough for it. The native NTFS should work. If you are not able to uninstall it properly then it might be due to it was not installed in the proper manner as it should be. Here is a small and quick way how it was supposed to do. Change the name of the original /sbin/mount_ntfs tool using the command: "sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig". Now create a script using the below command:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@“
    Finally save the script to "/sbin/mount_ntfs" and use the below code:
    Code:
    sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_ntfs
    sudo chmod 755 /sbin/mount_ntfs

I tried all that but I have two problems now. The first is when I tried to delete a specific folder, it turns out to be 0 byte but I can still see the trash with an error message. I even could not see the "repair disk" button for these NTFS disks as it is disabled. Secondly, when I tried to save a pdf file, sometimes I have an error message, while other times the folder is empty! I am unable to solve these problems.