Thread: Is anyone using an Apple Extended II keyboard with Tiger or Leopard?

Is anyone using an Apple Extended II keyboard with Tiger or Leopard?

I have recently bought a new macbook in which I am using snow leopard as an operating system.Subsequently, how's you go concerning it? I was gazing at the Griffin Imate ADB to USB adapter, except report has it so as to it simply works below OS 10.3.9 or earlier. I’d actually similar to present one of these keyboards a spin, except I'm uncertain regarding how to go about using one with Tiger and finally Leopard. Recommendation and individual suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you for the suggestion in advance.

Re: Is anyone using an Apple Extended II keyboard with Tiger or Leopard?

I was presently doing investigate on this. What I originate is so as to the iMate appear to work presently well with the keyboard in Tiger and Leopard. The iMate is planned as behind up to 10.3 only, but that appear to be for extra ADB peripherals (tablets, etc.) You too don't have to fix some drivers, it should be plug and play. I was fortunate to obstacle an iMate for $10, and am now looking approximately for an Apple complete Keyboard in the market. I used to have a Kensington Studio board which I actually liked but couldn't actually get used to the L-shaped enter key. I estimate it's approximately the similar as the Matias keyboard, which is also expensive for me. If the iMate wasn't going to work, and then I was bearing in mind receiving an old IBM Model M and a PS2/USB adapter. The trouble there is you don't have sufficient modifier buttons, and I would require mapping 'caps lock' to the choice key or somewhat similar to that (I want the authority input next to the space bar.)Exterior of these, I actually like the alu PowerBook keyboards (I estimate the MBP should be the similar.) It doesn't click, but it actually has a number of physical feedback/resistance when you push down.

A number of these older keyboards have completely dissimilar key device and sense completely dissimilar to type on than 99% of modern keyboards. The old IBM Model M keyboard and Apple extensive Keyboard are 2 of the most famous of these. The majority citizens don't worry, which is why the majority keyboards utilize cheaper rubber domes for the keys. The old Apple Keyboard really cost $200 back in the day. Except it can make a large dissimilarity if you are a quick feel type. I can acquire up to 80+ WPM, and I like typing on a good automatic keyboard. They are classically louder but I like the sound. These days, a number of companies create mechanical keyboards (like the Tactile Pro for the Mac). But I like the Apple Extended Keyboard the top. I think apple's extended is the best option for buying the keyboard.

I utilize Apple's own "legendary" Apple Extended Keyboard II, which is an ADB keyboard associated to USB by means of Griffin Tech's iMate. The iMate is simply hypothetical to be companionable up to 10.3.9, but I've been using it throughout Tiger and Leopard, by means of both PowerPC and Intel Macs, and it has effort well with no driver wanted. You should to keep on mindfor that go through the note: The iMate has a minute wafer battery within; I don't know its reason, but if it wears out, the iMate discontinue operational. This old keyboard absolutely gets better my typing, compare to the new laptop-like aluminum keyboards and the older "soft" also springy artificial keyboards.I have used single and suppose that Matias has imperfect its first name adequately to induce it to skip making a successor.
    Last edited by Humberto; 20-10-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Dr. V Guest

I believe it would effort from side to side a Griffin iMate. I in fact still utilize my desired keyboard, the old ADB Apple Extended Keyboard II. It's enormous, but supply presently the right feel. And it appear to stay working everlastingly. Griffin does not formally maintain the iMate following Mac OS X 10.3.9, but it has worked for me, with no driver set up, from Panther throughout Tiger, Leopard, and now Snow Leopard, on more than a few different Macs. Once more, the driver software does not appear to be essential for essential use with a keyboard, while it may desirable for other more dedicated devices that associated over ADB. But go through this Important Note: The iMate has a small flat battery in the interior. I have no idea what it does in support of the iMate, except if it dies, the iMate will no longer purpose. You can observe it through the transparent box. To restore it, you have pry-open the iMate container, which can break the pins investment it mutually. The battery itself is a ordinary type you can purchase at Radio Shack or additional vendors for a hardly any dollars. If the pins smash, you can hold the box mutually with a few clear tapes, and it doesn't look too terrible.

I am using Apple Extended II keyboard it is very easy and has very soft key which improves your typing.
    • Caps Lock Key that actually locks down at what time set in motion, careful to be better for touch typists.
    • Alps Electric Co. brand automatic key buttons credited for their high-quality sound and sense.
    • Big spacing among keys, particularly the top purpose keys and others.
    • The width of the keyboard equivalent the width of the Macintosh II
    • The stature let it to fit below the "chin" of the Macintosh SE.