Thread: VMware Fusion 3.1 with new features

VMware Fusion 3.1 with new features

Windows runs on VMWare Fusion 3.1, according to now faster on Mac OS X. The desktop virtualization software can also start more versions of Linux distributions as guest operating systems. Fusion 3.1 attempts to stand out from the previous version 3.0 by the rapid launch of Windows applications, faster scrolling and smoother display of the Windows Aero user interface in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Games should also benefit from the faster graphics. In addition, Fusion 3.1 supports now also the open graphics interface OpenGL 2.1 in Windows 7 and Vista.

Virtualization improves

Other changes relate to the Suspend virtual machine (VM), which now goes according to VMWare in a shorter time CARRIED. Fusion 3.1 also from large virtual machines are supported, including 8-way SMP (symmetrical multiprocessing) and disk sizes up to 2TB. Before that here the limit was at 950 GB. Also in Boot Camp VMs to the hard disk accesses are five times faster. In Boot Camp VM Fusion 3.1 also works with Microsoft's activation process for Office 2010. On Mac related USB devices can now be used within a single virtual machine. Fusion remembers it well the last state before the restart of a VM.

Revised Operation

In addition, under Fusion 3.1 Running Windows applications now in Expose and Dock Export indicated by reduced thumbnail. There are also some changes that make migrating from a PC or the daily work with Fusion. With the supplied new OVF Tool 2, virtual machines between different formats (vSphere, VMX, OVF) to be converted. They can thus be distributed via vSphere. OVF packages into or out of a vApprun-1.0 workspace to take effect.

Mac OS X and Linux as guest

In addition to Mac OS X and Linux distributions, as had supported as guest operating systems. With Fusion 3.1 List expands to the Ubuntu 8.0.4.4, Ubuntu 10.04, Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 Service Pack 1, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 and RHEL 5.4, all in each of the 32 - and 64-bit version.

Re: VMware Fusion 3.1 with new features

Rate increases may Fusion 1.3 expected in some areas. The manufacturer has ensured that virtual machines wake up faster from sleep mode and 3D applications work better when they access DirectX9 and OpenGL. Also on the hard disk access, the developers have screwed within reason. VMware Fusion 1.3 is nearing completion, a release candidate has published the manufacturer now. The virtualization solution should have won against the beta version in March, especially once at speed. In addition, Unity integrates even better into Mac OS X. In addition, structures the Unity feature, which some Windows applications on Mac OS X window displays as an individual, even better into the surface of Mac OS X: The individual Unity windows can now use in Export and Dock and Select Export. The OVF Tool, which included merger 3.1, cares about to export virtual machines on and off. With OVF (Open Virtualization Format) is an open format for virtual machines, which draws the Distributed Management Task Force responsible. Your members include Dell, HP, IBM, Microsoft and VMware.

Is that really so (rate increase) or is this what VMWare has written in the press release? Sure, the author was not really impartial (note the domain), but I'm here in the office yesterday, a VM under Parallels 5 (Windows 7 32Bit) is placed, running on the Macbook Pro my boss so rapidly that I surprised the rubbed my eyes (myself VMWare). The Windows Experience Index is displayed in the VM via Parallels a WIN-performance that we can not reach on HP computers in the office with more RAM and a not entirely bad CPU. pite of all the features I even brought any of my older (!) Games under Parallels or VMWare to run. Most compatible nor was VirtualBox, just stop vieel too slow. So now Boot Camp plus VMware to virtualize the boot camps for non-demanding applications .. For too many hours, I'm against it with Dragon Age: Origins access under Parallels. Full Screen Windows 7 runs pretty fast so that I can save myself booting into Windows. I've seen several Cider ports, the "native" were worse on OS X.

The publisher VMware, widely known for its virtualization solutions, has released a major update to its customer Fusion on Mac OS X. The primary objective of this version 3.1: performance. Here are the changes in this update:
    Overall performance improved from around 35% according to the editor:
    • Reduction of time required to suspend a virtual machine
    • Faster startup of Windows applications
    • Greatly increased running speed for Vista and Windows 7 on Mac OS X 10.6.3
    • Graphics performance up to five times better
    • Support for OpenGL 2.1 for Vista and Windows 7
    • Aero much faster on Vista and Windows 7
    • Gaming performance up to ten times higher compared Fusion 3.0

Unity:
    • Reducing Unity applications in the Dock now displays the contents
    • Works with Export and Dock Export

EasyConnect USB:
    • Ability to assign USB devices to virtual machines accurate
    • Saving settings assignment between two starts of the machine

Virtual machines:
    • Management of the SMP up to eight channels
    • The size of the VHD can be up to 2 TB

PC Migration Improvements

• Improvements to Migrate Your PC wizard, Including Better and Better validation of names speedy hire
    • Prompt user if Mac OS X guest account Prevents guest access to shared folders INSTEAD of failing
    • Open new virtual machine upon Successful Migration
    • Enhanced user interface on PC Being migrated Including:
      • New progress dialog migrated Being On The PC as well as "in VMware Fusion
      • Option to show log converter and PC troubleshooting steps if you PC migration facts
      • Avoid port conflicts with Web server software installed on PC Being migrated Such as IIS, Tomcat, and Apache

Boot Camp Improvements
    • Up to 5x disk performance in Boot Camp virtual machines
    • New option to minimize prompting for password (authentication dialogs) When using Boot Camp virtual machines
    • Handle Mac OS X disk exchange Better to Avoid multiple references to Boot Camp partition in the Virtual Machine Library
    • Support for Office 2010 activation in Boot Camp virtual machines

User Interface Enhancements
    • Drag a disk image or virtual disk to the Installation Wizard Of The Media Pane
    • Add shortcut for opening a virtual machine configuration file in default text editor for VMware Fusion (Hold down option and right-click in Virtual Machine Library)