Thread: Migrating from Intel mobo to AMD mobo

Migrating from Intel mobo to AMD mobo

I am endeavoring to upgrade my hardware, additional than attempting to maintain away from reinstalling the whole thing, in view of the fact with the intention of it would take a long time, missing disks, etc. The tribulation is when the image commencing the old disk is plugged into the innovative hardware, Windows XP barfs to a Stop Error of 7E. Additional than be able to in addition be 7B. I tried eliminating unsigned drivers, additional than with the intention of did not help. I imagine it is for the reason that the PNP map is so dissimilar, in view of the fact with the intention of I am going from older Intel to innovative AMD. I in addition tried doing a "repair" by means of XP in excess of the top, additional than that did not work. It determine to boot into Safe mode. Existing system is a HP Pavillion Pentium 4 1.4 GHZ, XP Home OEM. The innovative mobo is MSI K8MM-V by means of AMD Athlon 64. If anybody be familiar with several tricks to get past the Stop error and encompass XP recognize the innovative hardware, I would be additional than grateful.

Re: Migrating from Intel mobo to AMD mobo

You not be able to take an existing, running xp HD to a extremely dissimilar hardware setup. Completely determine to not run. Immediately dismissing the fact, for at present, with the intention of the chipset drivers set up on the existing hard drive determine to not run the innovative mobos' chipset, you are faced by means of your key and the hardware hash compulsory for boot. To put it basically; booting up on an existing hd necessitate a "vote" of 7 or additional to pass. There are 10 items with the intention of comprise the hash (a total of 12 votes). The entire get one vote, excluding the nic which gets 3. The changes with the intention of you have made merely leaves the hd, and perhaps the ram as the similar merely two votes. By means of a lot of gymnastics, you might do what you would approximate to do in W98 - not XP. I have to tell you with the intention of you must do a fresh install.

I keep in mind not encompassed such a hard time swapping mobo's in W2k, or W2k server. I deduction they are additional lenient by means of those O/S's. 8O what bugs you is what if your Intel mobo takes a dump, and you select to put in a high end AMD. I presumption you are screwed then. Neither of those articles is going to assist meta, nor do they disprove what my position stated. The subsequent applied merely to W2K by the method. I be familiar by means of this is old, additional than I ran into this exact tribulations on a customers apparatus. It was an Intel Mobo, I replaced it by means of an AMD mobo. The Re-installed XP Pro in excess of the top of presented installation to save re-configing the complete machine completed it numerous times by means of AMD's.

I tried the whole thing I might in view of the fact with the intention of I have completed it previous to, additional than most likely for the reason that the hardware was comparable sufficient and was within the hash code as you mentioned. As a test, I did endeavor to migrate to an additional Intel platform and it worked subsequent to a repair install. Then of course the fresh install went in the AMD mobo, confirming supplementary the antipiracy crap in M$. At the same time as I understand this, it actually causes a major roadblock to upgrading your PC. I live in Hawaii, land of deterioration, gecko poo, and giant roaches slipping into power provisions. It is shear death for systems subsequent to a small number of years. I necessitate to upgrade. I do not desire to have continuously reinstall subsequent to I have spent half my life updating M$. I encompass tons of programs installed numerous are purchased downloads with the intention of I almost certainly have key for (additional than where), or have to be repurchased. Particularly those programs with the intention of assist maintain out the entire the creeps with the intention of ooze into the cracks of M$. Or compulsory slavery of programs to weed out spyware, malware, viruses, and god be familiar with what else the scheme comes up by means of to pay the diminutive computer monsters to write.

Here you have to "booted up utilizing Bart PE, went in and load the System hive and I be able to merely observe the ControlSet001, additional than I changed the Start value to 4 anyhow and restart, and it worked. After that you have to ""renamed C:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys to intelppm.no-sys and it booted immediately extremely well.""I was capable to finished repairing Windows subsequent to I eliminated the Intelppm.sys in system32\drivers""it's easier immediately to rename or eliminate intelppm.sys commencing the recovery console."And I believe the majority elegant explanation is this:-"boot by means of the Windows CDROM and start the Recovery Console on the interested separation. Then type put out of action intelppm' to put out of action that driver beginning working. Reboot" I be familiar with this is old, but I ran into this exact problem on a customers machine. It was an Intel Mobo, I replaced it with an AMD mobo. Re-installed XP Pro in excess of the top of existing installation to save re-configing the complete apparatus - completed it many times by means of AMD's.

For an AM3, you actually encompass two worthy choices, moreover the ASUS 980A chipset motherboard or the MSI 980A chipset motherboard. Neither are the most excellent of alternative as Nvidia chipsets encompass a long history of problem (immediately not recommended). If you desire SLI, I imagine your most excellent bet is going by means of the i5-750 setup. You determine to get a superior SLI setup and a superior the entire approximately system, although at a slightly higher cost. There are in addition 750a based boards commencing ASUS and MSI, together for regarding $100. By means of those boards you would encompass an 8x/8x setup, which is what you would comprise on by means of the intention of EVGA board, where as the additional expensive 980a boards would give you 16x/16x. If you are immediately going to go by means of one GTX 460 card for at present, I would say go by means of the MSI 750a board.