Thread: Windows XP is very slow on startup, WAUACLT consumes over 200 MB as seen in TASKMGR

Windows XP is very slow on startup, WAUACLT consumes over 200 MB as seen in TASKMGR

When boot my system windows xp is very slow at start up and when I see in Taskmanager it shows WAUACLT consumes over 200 MB . Microsoft security essential is also consuming 200 mb of RAM.I run malwarebytes and combofix and I find everything perfect.I am getting phone calls regarding the same issue and all are complaining about very slow computer and most of the people have this problem at startup and login time. I check using Netstat and it does not show any foreign IP add so it is not communicating with anything on Net.

Re: Windows XP is very slow on startup, WAUACLT consumes over 200 MB as seen in TASKMGR

Have exactly the same issue in more than twenty computers at different sites. All of them are having same problem all take at least 30 mins to complete start up process.It seem that Microsoft security essential have upgraded this time and take the computer nearly to halt. If this is not resolved soon so we have to stop using Microsoft security essential and go back to Norton or AVG or Avast.

Re: Windows XP is very slow on startup, WAUACLT consumes over 200 MB as seen in TASKMGR

You need to perform these checks, mainly windows update and remove any prior installed anti-malware products. Make sure that you have completely removed all real time security software that has been installed on your computer including some free trial products that are installed when you have purchased the system such as Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, OneCare, Malwarebytes. After performing the uninstallation process use the clean-up tools to completely remove them. Make sure that windows defender is uninstalled for win Xp and Disabled for Vista, Make sure that you are up-to-date with the service pack,Make sure that the firewall is on and set to defaults. Make sure that you are not using any proxy server,Verify that Install updates automatically is selected in windows update.

This happen most often on 3-4 years old windows xp and have 512 MB RAM or less. So try to increase the RAM size on your system oat least another 512MB RAM.If possible go to control panel and select windows update and select change setting on left-side.Before doing this install Microsoft active X control.When select on change setting browse down and disable Microsoft updates. This means that you are having windows update and update to other Microsoft product will be done manually.I have tried this on all my computer and this solve my issue.

It is true that increasing RAM will help to fix the issue for crusty box but consider that due to some financial reason or due to system constraints not everyone is able to do it.The next problem is continued support for windows xp service pack 3.When Microsoft announce continue support to 2014 they haven't mentioned that it is being RAM independent.I do not understand why Microsoft offer it to those who purchased windows 7.

My four computers shows same issue during start up it run about 25 minutes and taskmanager takes about 2 minutes to appear according to it WUAUCLT.exe and svchost.exe are always active.And all have same symptoms as mentioned on this forum.This is happening from last month. I run the Malwarebytes and this solved my issue. I am using windows service pack 3 and Internet explorer 7.0.5730.13.