Thread: Boot drive letter changed after cloning XP to new SATA drive

Boot drive letter changed after cloning XP to new SATA drive

I have installed one Serial ATA hard drive in my computer which is Booted from floppy, and partitioned and format it to 120mb HARD DRIVE, with two portions. I have Connected my older IDE drive and booted from Norton Ghost disc and have cloned my older drive to the new-fangled one. Uninvolved every drives and USB card readers apart from the fresh SATA drive. Windows cannot completely boot, it stops at the blue Windows introduction display screen. I Restarted Windows again, and scan disk ran, but designated drive Alphabet "H" but not "C", so I estimate the windows installation process is still searching in the unique place for its files, that was the "C" drive, that is why it will not boot. You can’t modify the "System" drive alphabet from "Computer Management" within windows XP, and I can’nt obtain in to Windows anyhow. Is there any method which can help me to get over form ths problem , but I am not interested reinstallation. If I will try then will it also go to drive “H”? please help me to get back from this problem.

Re: Boot drive letter changed after cloning XP to new SATA drive

I have seen this problem. I know when you are trying to clone your IDE with the new and better, quicker SATA hard drive, everything goes well but when you make system restart it starts giving problem. I think so you should always set the bios BOOT choice to choose SATA disk. Then I think so everything should be fine. I hope this will be able to solve your issue. When I do this type of connection, I always remember to do this.

Yes I am aware about this issue. If you have left your older IDE source disk connected then windows try to itemize the unique dividing wall drive on the older drive from C, which outcome is the fresh OS on the SATA Hard drive with the alphabet other than C. This alphabet maybe more down the order If there are also some other partition connected like USB, card reader, pan drive. I cannot say about you but I found myself with “J” letter. Still I am searching for trick but still not have any option. If you have any option to make this arrangement in proper format please inform me.

I have seen same issue on my computer I got some solution. But I am not sure that it will solve your problem because there maybe some other issue on your system. When you are booting your system for first time after cloning, just unplug your older IDE hard drive. You may require to delete the partition or may also be asked to format the older drives before going back to plug those again in to the system.

For the maximum partition drives, it is not possible; particularly you are trying to rename that drive where Windows was installed. It can possible only one time that you may desire to carry out this is when the drive alphabet gets distorted without any user interference. This may occur when you smash a mirror volume or maybe there can a drive configuration modify. This should be a unusual happening and you must modify the drive alphabet back to contest the first installation. even i still looking for more source about this alteration.

Dr. V Guest

I do not know why it is happening but I have idea to change it. You cannot change it by using drive management; follow this process if you want to change your drive. I this example drive D has wrong letter and Drive C letter you want to modify or you want to assign it to another drive. Make a complete system backup of the computer and system state and now login as administrator and just go to the Start and run Regedt32.exe and register the this key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevice.”Now find the needed device which you want to modify. Just make Right tick and then DOSDevice\c; then tick rename. Rename it to a unique letter which is not in list and it will make free your Drive letter C. and follow the same process for remaining partition.