Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 19-10-2010

Where are file association keys in the registry

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop computer system and i make some changes in the file association from the registries of the Windows operating system. I know that it can be possible to change them programatically but for now, I just want to know the particular registry needed to be changed for making changes when i wish to associate the file extension jsp with Internet explorer.
Old 19-10-2010

Re: Where are file association keys in the registry

For the ordinary user experience with Windows is it that you can double-click a file in Explorer and they will open it with the set program. When you click the right mouse button and go here in the sub-menu "Open with ...", the user expects to find additional suitable programs that can open the file as well. What are they and what is the preferred, which responds to double-click, Windows stores the registry. This does, however, in 3 different places, so that repairs file associations will be able to complicated potential. - The following table shows the which are configured as they are and what priority they have so what configuration file association wins, they should be different.
Old 19-10-2010

If documents are written only once established associations, so they can be still quite cumbersome nature of the Explorer from the View menu / Options / File Types / edit only change. But it is also simple: If not, for example Notepad text files, but to immediately be opened with Wordpad, one need only] button and hold switch [, while the right mouse button on the icon of the file-clicks. Then the context menu has the question that is also the entry "Open with ..." on, then, for example, can be specified on the Wordpad.
Old 19-10-2010

The assignment of "File Types" to programs in Vista you can customize the following: Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "file type or protocol with a program associate. In Windows XP on the Windows Explorer: Tools -> Folder Options -> Tab "File Types". For a self-made browser or a user-created program that does not appear under "Default Programs" or "File Types", this can be done in the registry.
Example :
It was prepared on a separate IE browser-based. Now, the new browser will open the web pages and not the Internet Explorer. In
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExt \. Htm
AND
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExt \. Html
Application a new string in the right window and create the value with the new browser extension register at (MeinSelbstgemachterBrowser.exe). This can vary, of course, be with. ftp and / or. url, etc.
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ \ FileExt. Htm]
    "Application" = "MeinSelbstgemachterBrowser.exe"
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExt \. Html]
    "Application" = "MeinSelbstgemachterBrowser.exe"
Old 19-10-2010

I have provided one more example by which you can change the file association keys in the registry. Installed on the computer on which OpenOffice / StarOffice.org and Microsoft Office are, all Microsoft Office files (. doc,. xls and. ppt) is now open with OpenOffice / StarOffice. To have to change the default program for accessing a program in the following registry change.
  • HKEY_Current_User \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExt \. Doc or. Xls or. Ppt
Application a new string in the right pane to create and assign the value soffice.exe.
  • Doc = Word
  • Xls = Excel
  • Ppt = PowerPoint
Henceforth, all. Doc,. Xls and. Ppt files with OpenOffice / StarOffice.org started by double-clicking.
It is important FileExt the correct file extension to see the subkeys and the right program to assign it.
  • Htm,. Html,. Http. Https. Shtml. Url. Ftp, etc. = Browser
  • Wmv,. Wma. Wav,. Mp3, etc. = Audio Player
  • Ico. Bmp,. Gif,. Jpeg,. Jpg, etc. = image-editing program
Old 19-10-2010
Dr. V

If you open "My Documents", you go to Tools / Folder Options -> tab "Files Types" and there you seek the extension. ps the list. When you found it, click on "Advanced Options" at the bottom right of the window. A window will open with a field (ListBox) nome "Action" in which you'll find the action "Open", "Print", "SendTo" or other (depending on file type). Selects Open action and click "Delete"! Deletes any other actions that go with this extension! And your file is unknown to the Battalion again!

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , ,