Thread: Can I download the driver.cab file

Can I download the driver.cab file

I have a big problem when I am trying to dual boot my system. I have a Windows 7 system. I got Windows 7 in my system at the time of purchase. Now I want to install Windows XP on that for running some old application.For that I tried using Windows 7 compatibility mode but nothing worked there. So I decided to dual boot my system. While running the setup there was error on the screen saying cannot find driver.cab file. I skip the file and run the setup. Now the Windows after setup crash. I think this the file which has all drivers to install the most basic drivers. I am not sure about this. I had copied almost all files from the disc to create a another bootable disc. But the driver.cab is not working at all. There are also many other issues with my system. I want some troubleshooting tips to fix my windows without re-installing it to save some time. Like some recovery option via floppy to fix the future issues.

Re: Can I download the driver.cab file

Just run the setup and you can manual install the drivers. You can download updates for that. The other way is running your motherboard drivers which will fix mostly the audio, video, lan, etc issue. Then later on once you are on internet then you can run the driver updates directly from Device Manager. Try using Remote Assistance. You can now get help from someone with Remote Assistance and you are yourself an experienced user. There is a small community which is dedicated to Windows XP users and you can get information there related to most of your problems. It is easy in Windows XP to create a system restore point fore a major change is done to the system like installing new software, adding new equipment, changing the registry etc. This helps you to restore you entire system back again when you found a crash or any major fallback in the operating system. Better search for a new disc.

Driver.cab also had problems with the install of Windows XP in my system also. I had tried several times to install everything properly without any issue but unfortunately it did not work. My system installation comes at 18.19% do not continue. The system stuck on the menu only. Then I just pressed Esc and the file was skipped and the installation went on without problems. Then at last when all things happens Windows XP started without difficulty and in the device manager I found some hardware with exclamation marks. If you have a similar issue then just right click on them and choose update drivers. Your windows will search for the drivers online and update the most recommended one. You can also manually download the file from internet and run the setup. The setup directly place the driver folder in the Windows directly. But I will recommend you to get the same from official sources only.

Windows XP is very sensitive to the slightest malfunction of file can cause you blue screen. So there are some troubleshooting tips that you can follow and avoid such situation. The one from that is using a recovery disc which will help you to restore your in system in case of entire failure. For that it is recommended that you must make a recovery disc. For that right click on My Computer and then click on Properties. Then choose to go in Advanced tab and then click on the Error Reporting button. You have disable the same to avoid some crashes. Then go in Startup and Recovery and click on the settings option. Then choose restart automatically in case of system failure. This will help you to deal with frequent crashes in Windows. Then later on you can run the updates of Windows files which are pending. You can also copy paste them from other working computer running on similar hardware and operating system.

You can replace the driver folder in the Windows driver. For that in recovery console pass the command : expand d:\i386\driver.cab /f:atimpab.sys %systemroot%\System32\Drivers\. If you have the emergency repair disk then it much better to use the same for quick fix. However, if you want to have more suitable features and troubleshooting complex the recovery console plays a vital role there. The Windows 2000 Recovery Console looks like a session in MS-DOS command. The help command lets you view all the available functions within the console. The exit command terminates your session within this console and reboot your system. You can type help and hit enter to get the list of most commands. But before that I will recommend you to keep an list for yourself. So that in while troubleshooting windows you does need to refer much things. Unfortunately there is no edit command in the console, Microsoft plans to include it in a future release. Note that it is not possible to copy files to removable media unless the security policy of the computer allows you to do.

The issue of such crash is mostly the third party file. When your system fails to copy the driver.cab file then also it is possible to run windows. If you can locate which hardware is causing the issue then you can reinstall or update the application on which it depend. Some applications make use of. Dll files that do not exist in Windows XP. For this I will recommend you to first locate the file and then run delete it fully from your system. So that the corrupt file will not harm the booting of windows. You can always open the Windows Recycle Bin and restore the file to its original location if you does not get proper functioning of your system. Try downloading the latest update available on the manufacturer's website. This helps most of the time and it is the best way to fix major errors of Windows. Windows updates gives you updates for the most critical files that are needed to perform well and makes your system work in a faster manner.

Once you run the setup disconnect each and every external hardware from your computer. That can be a scanner, printer, usb, webcam, etc. Then reboot your system and boot in safe mode. Download the setup of driver.cab file and run the same. It is not possible to run the same directly without a Windows disc. You can browse the bootable disc of Windows and look for the files. All the files from this goes in the driver folder located in Windows\System32. So if you can see a low size folder then some of the hardware might not function well. The one of the most important from that is the display driver. If that does not work then on temporary basis you cannot view your desktop. The best thing and easiest way I will recommend you for this is using a new windows disc for running the setup. This is the only way to fix the matter. You can run a fresh setup of Windows which will copy each and every system files to make windows function properly.

The same process is possible by Windows Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is designed to allow a user with administrator privileges to start system in text mode. It is really a powerful utility that can be used for formatting partitions, starting and stopping services, reading and writing files, repair of an MBR (Master Boot Record) and repair of an unbootable system. It can be run by just choosing Repair or press the R when you boot from Windows disc. Then you need to pass on some commands. But for that you need a working Windows CD. If you have just insert that. Here I am showing how to copy back the Driver.cab file in Windows. Run recovery console and then pass the command e::\i386\driver.cab /c:filename. The e is the driver name and then after that hit enter. In the c: is the location of place where you have installed your windows. You will need to specify the full path. That is System32\Drivers folder. That will copy the file and done.

If you are getting a crash error on your screen then the syntax of the message in the form of program_name can give you information for more troubleshooting. You can see that some program has encountered an error and needs to close. This is the message most commonly you can see on blue screen on or error message. The executable file name is often mentioned in that so that you can easily trace the culprit behind that. The one I can tell you is msimm.exe for Outlook Express. I got this error recently when I was trying to run outlook in a new user account. Just click on the detail button for full information the crash. There will always be a module name to be specified. After that you can run a search on the file name on the internet and get exact detail on the crash. Do not forget to check the Version tab. Copyright line description or tells you most of the time the name of the program or driver file depends. So here you can collect some good resource for the file causing error.

The recovery console is not just for fixing but there are number of options you can enable or disable in the Recovery Console to make it more or less secure if your computer is running in this mode. So you can use the set command in the Recovery Console to configure the parameters like AllowWildCards. This allows use of wildcards in certain commands. The other is AllowAllPaths which you can access all the roads on mounted volumes. The other is AllowRemovableMedia which lets you to access removable media. You can set up the Recovery Console to boot your Windows.To do this, put your cd-rom of Windows 2000 and enter the following command: D: \ i386 \ winnt32.exe / cmdcons. This will add the Recovery Console on your system and make it available at the BOOT.INI. This command installs the files needed to run the Recovery Console from the hidden folder Cmdcons. The installation of the console uses about 7 MB of disk space.