Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 18-10-2010

XP Won't Boot With Large Hard Drive

I am having my system and was really healthy. Now the offer had come of exchange. So I exchanged the hard disk of my system and also upgraded that too. The first hard disk that I use to have on my system was of 160GB and I had really no problem with that. Now the one that I have is of 320GB and I do not know why it is causing me the issues. I do not know but I have heard that there are some issues with the larger hard disks when we try to install the Windows XP. Well I do not know the exact way but I will be really happy if someone can help me in installing Windows XP on my new Hard Disk. I really do not want to get disappointed with this brand new hard disk. Please guys give me some suggestions.
Old 18-10-2010

Re: XP Won't Boot With Large Hard Drive

Well as far as I know I do not think that there is some issue like with that of the Windows XP. I have never seen a case like this before and I am pretty sure there will be no problem when you will be installing the OS. Please let us first know what is the nature of the Hard Disk that you have with you? Is it SATA or something else? Also you have just mentioned that the hard disk that you are using is the one that you got in exchange. Are you able to access the Hard Disk? I have seen some cases where I have found people saying that they have seen that they are viewing the DISK READ ERROR, and if that is the case then the only solution that we all gave to them was that it may be because of the IDE cable. If you wish you can see for that too.
Old 18-10-2010

I do think and I am also sure that the case may of the Damaged Hard Disk. The case may be that the supplier must have given you the damaged Hard Disk and because of which you are facing the issues. I think that it will be really wise if you can go and ask for the replacement. If at all there will be problem with the Hard Disk then they will give you the replacement. If he says that there is no such issue then please ask him to install the same for you.
Old 18-10-2010

I am also surprised to see that you are having such a weird issue. Well to all the replies above you have not yet turned up and in that case I think you are able to access the Hard Disk. Well go for the partition and when it asks you to create the partition just make a partition of 20GB as usually I do this for my PC, and it really works. Also let me tell you that I have a 500 GB Hard Disk and I have never come across such situation. Also I love Windows XP and hence I have also yet never tried of switching to the Windows 7. I do not think that this can be the case as I am a live example if you want to see having the 500GB hard disk, see for something else buddy. Try my suggestion if you want and see if that works.
Old 18-10-2010

I am also suffering from the similar kind of problem and the case is somewhat more serious. Well to say that I am having the HDD of 320 GB and the case is that for the first time it did work well on the system but after 2 months it has just ran out of order. Well I do not know the exact cause for this but after reading this thread I think that this could be the possible reason for that. Can you all please suggest me something in my case it will be really of great help.
Old 18-10-2010

Well your case is really altogether different from what Aleeza is talking. The fact is that in the above case the XP is not installed at all and in your case it is installed and it also ran for nearly 2 Months. I think that in the above case the probable reason would be the damaged HDD but in your case I think that some of the diagnosis case will really work. I think that you should try running the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the XP recovery console. Also in your case I am also of the opinion that some of the files may have got corrupted and the Windows Repair option will really take good care of that. Hope that the repair will help you much.
Old 18-10-2010
Dr. V

I do not know if at all you are aware of the fact that there is a limitation of 137 GB for the Windows XP. You all are not having any hard ware issue and if that is what someone has suggested then I apologize for the same. I have read somewhere and I have found that it might be related to the old 137GB limit. I really feel sorry for that. The solution that I found for this was to imaging the drive and put the image back on where it was previously.
Old 18-10-2010

Thanks a lot Dr. for bringing our attention to that old 137 GB limit. Now I am also confident that if the hard drive is huge then it is a bad news for you all. The only solution that I think that can help you is to make use of the partitioning utility. Use this thing to partition the C drive. Once you do that then shift the other partitions in such a way that the space limit reduces to 137 GB. I am really sure if this thing is done then you will be able to boot the Windows XP on your system without any difficulty. Please post if the method goes in your way. So that we can have it as a successful solution for others.
Old 18-10-2010

I think it's fair to say that everyone here is aware of that Windows XP is usually capable in managing the filesystems that are above 128GB. We all here actually want to know why XP on our laptops suddenly will fails to start without even warning after working well for some period of time. I am dam sure that this can be because of some problem in the BIOS on my Dell laptop. I think that upgrading the BIOS will be really of some great help. Sometimes the BIOS of the system need to get updated and I have the strong feeling for that. See if that turns in your way.
Old 18-10-2010

I think that it can be also because of the things that are related to the Mother Boards of the system that you are using at this time. It may be the case and I think that it will be wise if you can have a mother board that can support that large capacity of the DATA. Also to assist you I have some of the threads that can assist you. Just pay a visit to that thread and see if you can come up to the solutions. Windows XP will not boot from hard drive, cannot boot from CD and Windows XP Won't Boot After Installing Secondary Drive. See if this can help you.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,