Thread: Span partition to increase space for system

Span partition to increase space for system

I am running the Windows XP on my computer. While installing the system I only allocated 20 GB for my system partition which was enough for that time. As the time goes the installed apps increases and now I have only 12 % of system space left. I have other 15GB free space on drive D: and I want to assign this space to System drive. So I want to ask you that is there any way to allocate memory to system drive from any other drive? Please post the way to do that if you know the answer or how can I free the system memory. Any help from anybody will be appreciative. Thank you.

Re: Span partition to increase space for system

If you want to increase the size of the system drive then the only possible way to do that is to use the third party program for the partitioning like Partition Magic 8..This is the best software that you can use to create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions. Just find that software in internet and download and install that in your system. This will not affect the existing Windows installation which is there in your system. The only alternative to this issue is that you have to do a clean install to that.

You should backup the system disk before doing anything else. First of all you have to convert the existing system disk to a "dynamic disk" and there is some limitation for that you have to consider. The dynamic disk can't be dual boot, also it can't be a laptop/USB/firewire/shared SCSI drive. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and right click on the existing system drive and Convert it to Dynamic Disk. Now in disk management, You have to open the Extend Volume Wizard and convert to dynamic disk.

There is also another alternative to use the Partition Magic. You can use a Knoppix CD and use the kt-parted to expand the partition. You can also use “diskpar” which is a resource kit utility to expand the partition if you have you find that there is a blank space after the end of the C: Drive. But remember that it will only work if you are using the same disk and if you want to combine two disks then you have to strip them together beneath windows Dynamic disk. I hope that this will help you.

Here are the steps that you have to follow for that:
    • You have to make full backup which include System_State_ and save the .bkf like CD/DVD or another hard drive.
    • After that you have to reformat and again partition the disk. This should be in the beginning steps of a
    • reinstallation of Windows.
    • Once you are done with this then you have to boot to the new Windows installation and Over the top of the new installation, you have to restore the full backup.

Hope this will help you.