Thread: Recycle bin automatically deletes all files

Recycle bin automatically deletes all files

I am on Windows XP computer. I was recently working on some of my important files and saved it. After closing it I accidentally pressed the DEL button which caused my files to delete. However, according to the conception, it should be moved to the Recycle Bin before it is permanently removed from the computer. But to my amaze it got lost, I can not find it in my Recycle Bin. Why? It should have moved to the Recycle Bin but this isn't the case. Why does my Recycle Bin deletes all files automatically ?

Re: Recycle bin automatically deletes all files

There are two possibilities which may cause you this kind of problem. One is that either your shift button is faulty due to which is it directly deleted or you might have pressed the shift button due to which it got deleted. There is yet another possibilities where you might have changed the settings for your recycle bin and set its size to 0%. Check which of the case is applicable and make the necessary actions.

Go to Start, My Computer and right click on the Recycle Bin. Choose Properties and go to the Global tab. Make sure "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." check box is unselected. If required make the necessary changes. Also check if "Display delete confirmation dialog" box have a tick mark or not. Click Apply and then OK. This properties gets changed if the recycle folder becomes corrupted and thus causes this kind of behaviour.

You can solve this problem with registry fix. Go to Start - Run - type "regedit" and press Enter. Windows Registry should open up. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. On the right-hand side, go to "NoRecycleFiles". Right-click on the 'NoRecycleFiles' DWORD value and click on "Modify". Change the value of "1" in the text box and click on 'OK'.

Thanks for your answers. To jesse, I am sure shift button is neither faulty nor pressed by mistakenly. I have also double checked the properties of the recycle bin to see its size is greater than 0%. To mv, yes "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." check box is unselected. However, the "Display delete confirmation dialog" box was untick and I have made the changes. To Lillebror, I have also tried the registry fix but it didn't worked. What else I can do now?

This can be due to malware present on your computer. The malware might have corrupted your Windows Registry file. This is the reason why you are not the getting the messages and the files are deleted permanently from your system. Scan you computer with an updated antivirus in safe mode. Then delete the detected threats. Get a free registry repairer tool and scan it. The tool will restore your Windows registry file back as it was.