Thread: Changed drive letters and computer won't boot

Changed drive letters and computer won't boot

I was endeavoring to back up my hard drive to an exterior hard drive. The program (Norton Ghost 14) was not being familiar by means of the drive. The Norton tech. assist me determine this was for the reason with the intention of beneath Disk Management there were no drive letters subsequently to the drives. It demonstrated a diminutive separation on my primary drive, my primary drive, and my usb associated exterior hard drive, additional than none had drive letters next to them. I endeavor to modify their drive letters. It did something, additional than the letters tranquil did not demonstrate subsequently to the drives. Subsequent to this, the whole thing disappeared on my desktop. I then rebooted and might not get to the login screen. Right at present, when I start my system I get the Dell bios revision display, then the black MS Windows XP screen, and then the blue XP screen. The whole thing gives the impression of being standard except with the intention of it stops short of the login area.

Re: Changed drive letters and computer won't boot

My guess is with the intention of by altering the most important drive letter with the intention of my computer at present not be able to locate anything for the reason that it come into view the C drive is missing. What I have tried get in from side to side Safe Mode, Safe Mode by means of Command Prompt, and Last recognized superior Contacted Dell tech chat hold up or maintain. They had me do a repair from side to side the recovery console. It did not fix it. I "got in" utilize the Symantec Norton Ghost 14.0 Recovery Disk. I might observe the entire of my files. I checkered the boot.ini file and a small number of additional things and the whole thing appeared accurate. I "got in" utilize BartPE to revolutionize the System/Boot Drive Letter in the registry (Microsoft KB article 223188) It did not run. My most recent thoughts are if I might somehow do a system restore exclusive of being capable to boot to Safe Mode/Command Prompt, revolutionize the Userinit file in the registry (additional than I do not imagine this would do it), and/or getting a innovative hard drive, installing a fresh copy of xp and migrating files off of previous hard drive to innovative one.

In resurgence console when I type "diskpart" at the command prompt it did not revolutionize the command procession to DISKPART. It brings up: "The subsequent list demonstrate the existing separation and unpartitioned space on this system." In a box beneath this it demonstrate separation [FAT] 55 MB <34 MB free> C: separation [NTFS] 152563 MB <17469 MB free> Unpartitioned space 8 MB have right of entry system utilize BartPE bootable CD (generated utilize PE Builder) to have right of entry Restore Points from side to side System Volume Information in sequence. Copy System and Software restore points commencing time when the system booted (I right hit it off on every point to observe the date and time). After that you have to eliminate System and Software files in the System32 config file and paste in the restore versions or description and rename.

I had observe this was a at the similar time as ago, additional than I become aware of in your specs with the intention of you encompass XP Pro by means of 4 Gigs of ram. Is it 64 bit. As a tech I have comprised and seen several systems innovative and otherwise with the intention of have had tribulations by means of the 4 gig mark in 32 bit operating systems. It might be part of your tribulations. I noticed errors in a 6 Month old Dell by means of Vista. It came commencing the factory by means of 4 gigs additional than a 32 bit OS. It ran extremely most of the determine to untill I tried to put in SP1 then it started having startup issues. Might not be your tribulations, and by this time I would anticipate with the intention of you comprise fixed your tribulations, additional than for those with the intention of locate this thread its easy to take out a stick of ram and observe if that’s your tribulations.

I was endeavoring to back up my hard drive to an exterior hard drive. The program (Norton Ghost 14) was not be familiar by means of the drive. The Norton tech. helped me conclude this was for the reason with the intention of beneath Disk Management there were no drive letters subsequently to the drives" I was having the comparable/similar tribulations using Ghost 15 the recent past and saw this posting. In my circumstances, the drive letters were perceptible in My system, additional than not present in Disk Management. This caused Ghost backups to fail. In my case, the predicament was caused when I restored my drive utilizing Ghost 15. The restore caused the drive letters to disappear. I am certain of this in view of the fact with the intention of I had completed a print screen of the disk management console before the restore.

I had installed a innovative hard drive, the merely drive, in my system and installed XP pro. There was a card reader in the system which was allocating c drive and the restricted drive was assigned h on the disk. I detached the card reader and misrepresented the local disk to c commencing h in the registry. At present when I turn on the system the blue screen introducing XP comes on and goes no farther. Be able to anybody assist me. DIRTMAN the entire the ideas were helpful for the reason that they helped me make a decision what to do. I disengaged the card reader, reformatted the drive, and reinstalled windows xp. The whole thing is ok at present. I did not encompass to worry regarding losing files for the reason that it was an innovative drive.