Thread: Install Windows 7 in AHCI or IDE sata mode for SSD

Install Windows 7 in AHCI or IDE sata mode for SSD

Well, I have completed an assortment of research (goggling) on whether or not to inaugurate Windows 7 on my solid state drive in AHCI or IDE sata mode. I required substantiating it by means of you guys to create certain I got this straight previous to I go ahead and install Windows 7. If I inaugurate windows 7 on my solid state drive in sata mode ahci then afterward I be able to go to IDE if I required to by immediately switching it in bios. Additional than if I install windows 7 under IDE mode then I determine to encompass to do a registry value revolutionize to create windows 7 work in ahci mode. Is with the intention of right? Everybody seems to have comprised a different estimation on whether or not ahci mode is faster or worth it in excess of IDE mode for windows 7 on a SSD. I am not the entire with the intention of interested in hot swapping so that is not a interesting characteristic for me. I am looking for dependability as a top priority.

Re: Install Windows 7 in AHCI or IDE sata mode for SSD

If you plan to go by means of an Intel ICHxR I/O controller hub, Intel powerfully suggest setting your BIOS to RAID mode previous to installing Windows the primary time, tranquil IF the entire associated drives determine to operate in JBOD or non-RAID mode (immediately a Bunch Of Disks). Intel calls this "RAID Ready". The key is to appreciate with the intention of the Intel Option ROM requirements to be launched previous to installing an OS, in order to initialize the entire associated apparatus as JBOD. RAID is a superset of AHCI, so starting by means of RAID mode determines to facilitate the entire AHCI features too.

In this you have to observe the Intel's most recent certification for Rapid Storage Technology ("RST" ) with reference to TRIM hold up or maintain as of the most recent reading I have completed on this point, TRIM determine to work by means of an SSD merely if the BIOS is initialized to RAID mode and every associated apparatus is initialized to run in JBOD or non-RAID mode. TRIM is not sustained on Intel's ICHxR I/O controller hubs if several of the connected apparatus are configured in a RAID mode of several kind (as far as I be familiar with).

Understand with the intention of IDE mode does not sustain or maintain the TRIM command desirable to maintain your expensive SSD working with at its presentation potential. Therefore you be supposed to install in AHCI mode. I am building an innovative system w/ a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R board. I plan on acquisition the Intel 25-M 80 GB SSD on which I determine to install the OS - Windows 7 and most used programs. I in addition encompass my old hard drive from a dell (western digital SATA II 250 GB) with a lot of media and documents on it and therefore not be able to be reformatted (previous computer is dead).

The entire drives attached to the similar SATA controller determine to generally have to run in the similar mode. If a motherboard has additional than one SATA controller it determine to frequently used dissimilar colours on the SATA ports associated to everyone to distinguish connecting them. If you set the BIOS to AHCI mode, position together the SSD, and install Windows 7 onto it, then you determine to be capable to attach your previous drive and read it without several tribulations even if it was used in IDE mode formerly. Changing the mode does not do no matter which to the drive contents the merely problem is with the intention of the OS requirements to have the right drivers in order to talk to the drive.

If you have facilitated AHCI in bios and endeavor a fresh inaugurate for the SSD additional than it hangs on "starting windows". The HD light is concrete for 60 seconds and then blinks and repeats. Subsequent to waiting 30 minutes I switched in excess of the alternative in bios and have a clean flawless install. Checkered and trim is facilitated. The motherboard firmware is rationalized additional than not the SSD yet. I observe there are numerous illustration of enabling ahci subsequent to install additional than is with the intention of the respond. If I am in left field on this one I am sorry, darn consideration I had the bases covered. Probable tribulations for the reason that the SSD was not formatted previous to install. The salesman in addition mentioned an app I imagine with the intention of be supposed to be working "Solid Play " not sure.

If the mode is your sata controller set to - AHCI/IDE/SATA. NOTE, Trim being facilitated is immediately with the intention of facilitates. For the cmd to be passed and used the SSD requirements to be in AHCI mode (until they fix with the intention of). Mode be supposed to be AHCI - tribulations what were they when you formerly set up your HDD. For the Blu-ray/DVD drives, what I did was position them on my 2nd controller (GSATA for my MB). You have to position My SSD and HDDs on the customary Sata controller which is position to AHCI. So, if probable be in motion your Blu-ray drive to a second controller. Disconnect the HDDS and by means of immediately the SSD connected (and controller set to AHCI) endeavor installing operating system. Might have a tribulations by means of HDDs (if they were set up under IDE Mode).