Thread: Best Linux for a USB?

Best Linux for a USB?

Which of all the Linux distros that are bootable from USB I recommend? I would love to test my computer with something different (and better) than Windows XP without making too many changes. I searched google and I get several, but I've never been able to install one on a USB key and it worked. Which one would you recommend and what I do to get it? Please help me to get best Linux for a USB.

Re: Best Linux for a USB?

SLAX they said that was not bad, you could check it, however, to put into a USBpen'll have to catch you boot from the CD and install the USB (to my knowledge no one distro is copied verbatim to the USBpen and rule). And if you copy a ubuntu or kubuntu or knoppix (the BootCD) as is the flash drive (1GB ...) will not boot.

Not always is Linux on USB flash drives with the same meaning is. Distributions from the USB stick to launch live demonstration or for repair purposes certainly very nice, has superior live CDs and DVDs, but no advantages. A portable operating system that you can customize and update, and that this change reserves, allows you on the other hand to almost any PC without modifications on these, and programs to be able to work productively with your personal settings. You have configured your personal operating system without the proper hardware, when you need it there with you. From Linux you have already heard, now offers the opportunity to work with the treatment without any operating system or even to dispense with the second computer to create one.

Here is the thing: I'm going to need to move and with a minimum of equipment. I have a 2GB USB key, I could install Linux on it (or another OS if it works ...) and I could store my documents on the key directly instead of letting the matter drag here and by the sandstones of the machines I would use.?! So DamnSmallLinux looks good but is there better? Also, is that with this USB key, I could use a Mac to boot?

So DamnSmallLinux looks good but is there better?
    damnsmalllinux is actually not bad.
    Also, is that with this USB key, I could use a Mac to boot?
    Yes, you can boot a Mac. Otherwise you have a version of knoppix in the genre. Fluxbox is quick to learn, we get lost in the beginning but within minutes you will find it pleasant and easy to use.