Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 13-10-2010

PCLinuxOS vs. Ubuntu: Picking the Best Distro

I have 2 computers at my home with one running Windows Vista and another running Ubuntu. Now I only want one computer and would like to sell out the Ubuntu one. Keeping this in mind I decided to dual boot my Windows Vista computer with PCLinuxOS because I want a linux distribution. The installation was successful but I am not happy with it. It is totally weird according to me. So according to you which linux distribution should I go for?
Old 13-10-2010

Re: PCLinuxOS vs. Ubuntu: Picking the Best Distro

PCLinuxOS is not so bad i think. However, it depends on how you look at it. PCLinuxOS is a free easy to use Linux-based OS for x86 desktops or laptops. PCLinuxOS has a script called mylivecd which allows the user to take an ISO CD/DVD image for easy backup. PCLinuxOS is safe and secure and never gets infected with viruses, adware, malware or trojans.
Old 13-10-2010

In terms of applications and usability, Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS have a lot of similarity in it. However if your requirement is to have a large organisation (or domain setup just like in Windows) then Ubuntu is a better option. PCLinuxOS may not provide a better alternative to this. Apart from that, everything that you can do with other OS, you can do with PCLinuxOS.
Old 13-10-2010

PCLinuxOS features an excellent Control Center making it relatively simple to do administrative job. It also provides KDE, but if you are a Gnome addict then this is not for you. However, if you will look into its KDE then I don't think you will be disappointed. The only drawback that I have noticed about PCLinuxOS is that it doesn't have any support team to help its users.
Old 13-10-2010

I had some great experience with PCLinuxOS and would recommend it. If you are one of the user who is looking for a better experience, more flexible, more customizable, then this is what solves your problem. With my personal experience, PCLinuxOS is better than Ubuntu. PCLinuxOS has the feature of "rolling release" which is not available in Ubuntu.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,