Thread: Want to join Windows 7 pro to Domain

Want to join Windows 7 pro to Domain

Hi,
    I am a IT professional and have a system with windows 7 Home Premium installed on it. I want to join Home Premium machines to a domain. I make use of a domain controller, so i require to join my machine with the domain. Can any one suggest me the method top do that. I do not have any idea in joining the system to the domain. Require your help.
    Last edited by Tiger Memon; 13-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Re: Want to join Windows 7 pro to Domain

By referring your problem and have made a lot of search on this issue and i finded that we cannot connect either of the home versions to a domain, because there no such facility provided my the OS to join with the domain. Currently i am not remembering the link from where i have read the content, but it is true.

I have fined one solution for this issue. In the windows 7 look into the home group and there you have to create a group on one of the computers and the other computers will be joining that group. This will look like a Domain controller. You can use this method instead of just typing in the same work group name. Hope have provided you some help.

I have recently purchased a HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it. I run 2003 SBS at home with a Domain controller. My Hp laptop was able to connect to the printers present in the LAN and i was also able to view all the LAN files present on it. I was able to do this even without logging in the domain. I am surprised that how this thing is possible? Need your support.

I feel that you cannot join the computer with the domain using a windows Starter or Home Premium. You can only do this by using the windows pro. If any one is able to connect to the domain using the machine with Home Premium, then please provide me the solution for that as i to don't know how to do that? I think that i have help you a bit on the issue.

Dr. V Guest

I think i have a fix for this issue. First you will need to access "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa" on your system. Now after doing this you will need to create a new entry and name it as "LmCompatibilityLevel". after naming the entry you need to modify that entry and also require to change its value to 1. Now reboot the machine and try to test the system.