Thread: Unable to upgrade kernel in Ubuntu 10.10

Unable to upgrade kernel in Ubuntu 10.10

Currently my system is running on to the ubuntu 10.10 operating system and in this I just wanted to know that is there any way through which I will be able to upgrade the Kernel. I am asking all these because I have mostly heard that it is for all time better if you have upgraded kernel and the core parts of the OS. So because of that only I am asking this that Will I be able to have to take care of somewhat actually vital? I do not desire to get myself stuck along with the extra issues. So please tell me a way through which I can get the things done in a nice manner. I will be thankful for you guys in advance.

Re: Unable to upgrade kernel in Ubuntu 10.10

Regarding this I want to tell you that you would have the graphical environment which improved along with upgrading the KERNEL. Well it looks like to me that this is one of the profits so that you will go for this. There is an update for this and this is very small size of update file is there. So for that at first you will see a number of issues but then it offers condensed latency in graphical environment. But for that you just be sure that after making the upgrade you will get a number of the improvements along with the Graphics but you may see little bit difficulty along with the text mode of LINUX there. So in that case you have to require to see if there is a patch obtainable or not. See for the same there and if you discover difficulty with functioning then you can go with the things.

I have one more solution for this and I am sure regarding this that you will like to go along with this solution. In this if you have ubuntu registered then you are able to use of the update command. And the command is here which you have to require so for this you have to type the # up2date -f kernel. And if you are talking about the SMP then you have to make use of this command instead: # up2date -f kernel-smp. If you have one form of CentOS or RHEL 5 then you can use the yum command in the following manner: # yum update kernel. So if you have already downloaded the RPM file then you are able to use the # rpm -ivh kernel* in order to progress with the updates.

After reading this I want to know that which version you are using currently. Please tell me so that I can tell you whether you will be able to install the upgrade of the Kernel or not. So for this to occur you will need to open the Terminal Window and after that you will have to see for the main Application menu there. And then you can see the option under the System Tools or Utilities. After doing this you will observe a command prompt. In the command prompt you have to type this command: uname –r. This will allow you to know the version of the kernel. I hope this will help you.

The new kernel versions are distributed as patches. So if you are having the version 1.1.1945 for your kernel on the LINUX and then you see a patch called as patch46.gz; then all you have to do is apply this patch there so that you can upgrade to version 1.1.1946. If you see that the things went smoothly but if you still want to have a look for the same then you can go to /usr/src/linux and look for files ending in .rej. The scenario is that some of the older versions of patch use #. Open up KPackageKit and after that search for the linux-headers there. Now you will be required to make yourself involved in the matter here so that you can find the best kernel. After you find the best match you can hit APPLY. Close KPackageKit and then see if that works handsomely in your case there.