Thread: Hard drive formatted in error after installation of Kubuntu

Hard drive formatted in error after installation of Kubuntu

A month ago, I launched the installation of Kubuntu on an external drive connected to my MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo (Tiger 10.4.11) but the Ubuntu bootable cd is ejected before the end of the installation and since at every boot, my Mac can not find the operating system: file flashing question mark.

I did not backup my data (mostly photos) thinking that if I do not install anything on the internal drive, I did not risk anything.

I used the disk utility from my installation CD 1, which informs me that the internal drive (formatted HFS) is in good condition and does not need repair (disk permissions are grayed out and I've no access), in contrast to the external drive (500 GB) which is running Kubuntu "The underlying task reported failure to close" and it needs to be repaired.

Since I gave my mac to Apple Authorized Service Center, they told me that the hard disk is formatted (but I still have the ability to retrieve something and how).

I do not understand how Kubuntu could erase all my data when I have not formatted or partitioned hard drive on my mac.

I do not lose hope to recover my photos, or at least to understand "why and how" with your help because I need to know what could happen.

Re: Hard drive formatted in error after installation of Kubuntu

You most likely have a problem with the MBR of your hard drive.

During installation, Ubuntu can be considered your USB drive as an internal disk, and therefore wanted to "reference" as its partition containing an OS, you can choose to start the OS to boot. Generally, it is GRUB is installed.

Obviously, this phase went wrong, and install Ubuntu has "polluted" the boot sector of your disk, preventing your Mac to start up.

To correct this...

Starting with the installation DVD, it seems that in the utilities, there is one who sets the startup (boot the system present on the first partition of internal hard disk for example). I think you scrape by, but I have no information to give you more accurate ...

Using the boot option of Disk Utility, I have to choose between the installation CD 1 and start networking. Using the terminal via the disk utility by typing diskutil info, I partition ghost in MS-DOS FAT12, 16 and 32?! While they do not appear on the score (one) to HFS + from the internal drive. I think I'm going to install Snow Leopard on the internal disk and reformat my external drive where you installed Kubuntu (the underlying task reported failure to close (why?) and the external drive needs to be repaired (should I consider?).

That's all I can do for now. If you have another idea or at least give me advice, do not hesitate!

To retrieve your data:

1) if you have firewire on your PC and a firewire cable, you can boot your Mac into target mode, meaning that Mac OS X will not load, and only the target mode of EFI (BIOS Macs) will be activated. This mode transforms "your mac into a single external firewire hard drive. Then you just have to connect your Mac to your PC using a FireWire cable, and your PC will detect an external drive, which will in fact the contents of your Mac's internal drive. So you can Backup your data.

2) you can boot with the Leopard install DVD, which launches you into a leopard liveCD in order to eventually run diagnostic tools, etc. liveCD in this mode, you can normally:
    - Access the contents of internal drive
    - Connect an external drive to copy your data.

Thank you for your post. For the target mode with the PC via the firewire cable, I must find one (if I have one, that of my external drive, can I use it?). Otherwise about the installation DVD of Snow Leopard, can you explain how to use live CD to access content from the internal drive?

For the target mode with the PC via the firewire cable, I must find one (if I have one, that of my external drive, can I use it?).
    if the connection is there then yes, it will not be a concern.

Thereupon, no idea unfortunately

I know I did it on a MacBook from a friend there a couple of years (it was under 10.4 if I remember correctly). MacOSX his death was completely impossible to boot from the Macbook. It has the boot from the installation DVD and loading it happens on a MacOSX desktop that way provides access to tools to partition and disk diagnostic, and there we learned to access the contents of the inner disk, and have a network connection to transfer everything on his other PC.

If I connect my mac to pc, it will access my partition and find there the data knowing that they do not use the same format (HFS and MS-DOS FAT32) if possible, however, should I use testdisk (for files) and photorec (for photos)? Regarding the cables from my LaCie, it is for a USB extension cable and another USB one end on one side and the other to a jack!

My external drive is in need of repair because "the underlying task reported failure to close" (not repair with Disk Utility Installation CD 1), should I just format it in HFS + or use Gparted to uninstall Kubuntu (and in the latter case, the partition of my mac does it find its original state?). I know I'm too optimistic! Some people I know would say "stubborn as a mule." Does this problem has already been mentioned on this forum?

If someone has already solved the same problem as me, I would appreciate advise me on solutions that have enabled him to solve it.

jalapally Guest

use Easeus data recovery full version.
    use below link for free full version torrent.