Thread: iSCSI SAN Disks not showing on Passive Node in Cluster

iSCSI SAN Disks not showing on Passive Node in Cluster

I am trying to install in unattend cluster Windows Server 2003 Enterprise based on iSCSI storage. Now to deploy Microsoft iSCSI Initiator complete during the installation, I have tried up three options here. The first is deployment of 1.06-initiator-x86fre.msi since Cmdlines.txt or GuiRunOnce, and Deployment via iscsiins.exe. I got a failure error message on the screen. I am not able to figure out the issue behind this.

Re: iSCSI SAN Disks not showing on Passive Node in Cluster

Have you tried to go through [OEMBootFiles] and [MassStorageDrivers]. If not then I will recommend you to do the same. This might help you to find some solution for your problem. The easiest way would in my opinion to the content of drivers in a Lambda directory under $ OEM $ \ $ 1 and add it in [Unattended]. Check this out if this works or not. You might need to learn more on Clusters.

In my system I had managed to set up a cluster environment with Hyper-V iSCSI. I am completely lost for the network portion. Now after searching for some time I found the following information which can help you out to figure the issue behind the same. What I found here is a map to the parent partition, a map for virtual machines, a card for iSCSI (cluster) and a map for Live Migration and Heartbeat. Now I am here trying to find the exact network configuration for every host.

On the iscsi network and network heartbeat, they must have their own separate network. Especially for the iSCSI network, this one must have its own dedicated switches (or a default VLAN on a switch beefy). Insulation of a different subnet than the IP traffic. It is necessary to have minimum insulation level 2 (MAC broadcast domain). There is much more to do here but for that I will recommend you to get some documentation on the procedure.

Indeed, VMware virtual machines are adequate for a cluster in Server 2003, with the possibility of creating a virtual shared SCSI disk, but this is not the case for Server 2008. One solution is to use an iSCSI disk, accessible simultaneously by both servers. There are several solutions such as Openfiler. But Server 2008 is very demanding on the characteristics of such a disk, including the potential for iSCSI reservation. And solutions based on Linux machines do not offer at present.

Clusters with Windows Server 2003, SCSI-2 commands used are as follows: Reserve / Release / Reset. SCSI Reserve is used by the node that owns the shared disk: Every 3 seconds, the active node signals its presence to keep the disk which is the current owner. Reset SCSI is a SCSI command used by another node that wishes to become the owner of a shared drive: Every 10 seconds, this command is sent.

If the active node, owner of the disk is always active, making the disk by the passive node will fail. Conversely, if the active node fails, the SCSI command reset the passive node will succeed, because the active node no longer sends SCSI Reserve. The problem with this technique is that the SCSI command Reset can be misinterpreted. Instead of being interpreted as a hard reset it, in some cases may be seen as a Bus Reset. Knowing that a SCSI bus can be shared among multiple disks, it can be problematic and release other records accidentally.