Thread: All sound goes through mic

All sound goes through mic

I am using Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard with onboard Realtek HD Audio. My computer is running under Windows XP SP3. Whenever I try to play the online games or make Skype calls, I get problem with the mic. When I use the mic, all the sound my computer makes broadcast over the mic. This makes it useless for the gaming. On the other end the one who is listening through the mic will also here the horrible sound. This is very frustrating if you are playing games. Please help me. Thank you.

Re: All sound goes through mic

This problem is due to the stereo mix slider. You have to mute the Stereo Mix slider which is in the Recording property. Just go to the Recording Control and you will find various slider control to control the different volume option. On the last of the slider column you will find the column for the stereo mix and at the bottom of that there is a checkbox for muting that. Check that box and exit the recording control. In most of such cases this solves the issue.

You have written that you are using Realtek HD Audio and I have solution for the issue. Here is what you have to do to solve this. Go to Control Panel > Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager and on that window press "The Audio I/O" tab. Click on tools sign which is next to analog and check that Disable front panel jack detection is not checked. It was checked in my case and I was getting the issue and after that I solved it. I hope same for you.

There is possibility that the mic you are using may not be the only device that is selected by the recording controls. As you told that you are using the Windows XP you can do the following:

Click on start and go to control panel. You will find various icons, you have to open "Sound, Speech and Audio Devices" and go to “Sound and Audio Devices". Now click on Voice Tab and click on “volume” which is under voice recording. You have to make sure that only mic has a checkmark under it.

On the bottom right of the screen, there is sound icon. Just double click on that icon. You should make sure that there is a X mark on the mic section. If you find that it is still not working then you can go to Edit > Preferences. There you have to Check mark the Microphone, Microphone Capture, Mic Boost and Mic Select and after that click on OK button. This may fix the issue. You should also check the extra tabs on the volume control like Recording and Switches. Make sure that mic is not on on those tab.

Hey guys, I got the answer for that. I was also facing the same issue and I tried all the suggestion on many forums site but not got the correct answer which can help me then I decided to give a try to myself and I just went to Recording setting and muted all the things except mic and guess what, it did the trick for me and the issue is gone. I suggest you to try this once. If it solve mine then it can also do for you. Good Luck.

Dr. V Guest

Hey thank you very much Ernesto4. I did the same as you told. I muted all the things on the recording setting except the option for the mic. I saved the changes by thinking that if it does not work then I will set it on its original settings but it solves the issue. I am very happy. Thank you very much again my friend.