Thread: Unable to run Windows updates; Error code 80072EFE

Unable to run Windows updates; Error code 80072EFE

I am unable to update Windows and getting the following error code 80072efe. I have already ran virus and spyware scan's but it didn't detected anything. I then tried to disable my firewall but still nothing solves the problem. Am I the only one or is there still anyone who have faced this kind of problem? Can you help me or direct me how to begin to solve this problem?

Re: Unable to run Windows updates; Error code 80072EFE

I think it is related to your router settings. Contact your ISP to get full details of your connection and if you have a little knowledge about this then do it by yourself. Also try to flush the DNS resolver. It could also be due to applications or processes that interfere with Internet communications.

I think there is some interference from other programs. First disable all of your firewalls or other browser programs. Then remove or delete the CatRoot2 folder. For this, first disable cryptographic services. Go to Start, Run, type "SERVICES.MSC" and click OK. Right click on Cryptographic Services and then select Stop. Now you are ready to delete the "Catroot2" folder. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\" folder, look for Catroot2 and delete it. Now restart the Cryptographic Services from Windows Services. Perform the Windows Update now.

Are you unable to repair your installation? Did you check if you have the correct versions of the system files on your computer? If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair its contents. To check this:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    cmd
    3. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER. You may be prompted to insert Windows XP CD.
    4. After the System File Checker has finished, try to install updates again.

It seems to me some malware activity on your computer. I would recommend you to run MalwareBytes and perform a scan. It will report you what is creating the problem of unable to update your Windows. Once detected, it will automatically move the infected files to the quarantine from where you can take actions to remove it completely. Try to update windows now.

Try to boot Windows in Safe Mode and then perform Windows Update. To do this reboot your computer and press the F8 key (or DEL key, depending on your motherboard) on the keyboard. The Windows Advanced Options menu should appear. Select Safe Mode and then press Enter. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account. Perform Windows update once again.

1. Download the file TDSSKiller.zip from the following link and save it on the Desktop.

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloa...tdsskiller.zip

2. Double click TDSSKiller.zip to unzip the file.

3. Double click TDSSKiller.exe to scan the system.

4. Wait for the scan and disinfection process to complete.
    5. Check for updates again.

This worked for me for error code 80072efe.