Thread: How to set up file sharing in Windows XP/Vista/Windows7/Mac

How to set up file sharing in Windows XP/Vista/Windows7/Mac

I am new to the networking part of the computer. The only idea I have that through the network we able to share the images, music, files or folder to the other user computer on the other end side. I want to know the what are the setting steps to file sharing in different operating system like windows xp, windows vista ,windows 7 and on Mac OS. It would me further help me in the future to get the networking done on different operating system.
    Last edited by Artificial-Intelligent; 25-09-2010 at 05:31 AM.

re: How to set up file sharing in Windows XP/Vista/Windows7/Mac

If you want to set the file sharing in the Windows Xp then you have to follow this step. you have to check the computer name and the workgroup of your computer then exposed it to the LAN through which it can be accessed and browse the you have to right click on the my computer and select the properties . If you want to change the computer name or workgroup then you can go to the name change and click on the next button. Then the it will show you the message to restart your computer so just restart it and your file sharing is set.

You can set the file sharing network in windows vista by selecting the folder with the share option by right clicking on it.And it can be also done from the control panel then open the Network and Sharing Center and you have to check the name of the network is public or private network. If you have selected the private network then you have to go to the customize network setting option then select for whom and which location it should be private and then press the OK button and click on Done. You have to put ON the Network discovery, File sharing and at last turn ON the network access then just click apply you will be set with the file sharing network.

Dr. V Guest

It is very convenient to set the file sharing network in the MAC OS. You just have to get in the Administrator account and open the sharing preferences and choose the System Preferences from the Apple menu and then select sharing from the view menu and then you can also select the folder and then select the + plus icon on the shared folder and then add it to everyone so that it can be access by everyone.

Re: How to set up file sharing in Windows XP/Vista/Windows7/Mac

You can get the media folder sharing on your computer in which first you have to select the folder you want to share and from the properties open the Sharing after that click on the Advanced Sharing. You have to choose the Share folder and then click on the Permission. You have to also make sure that to click change and read the folder and then press the OK and exit the window.

On the windows xp you can have the simple file sharing for the local user and for the remote users. The local user can log in the computer through its account and also in the guest account. You can organize both share and NFTS file system from the Simple File Sharing. It can allow giving the permission to the folder, sub folders, and even all the files of the subfolders. You can also find the instruction from the Help option in the windows.

I have done the setting of the windows 7 to share files and folder to the network. Well it was very easy to set the folder in the sharing network by setting it to the homework for which you have to click on the start menu and select the control panel and then the control panel window will open so just type the Homegroup in the search box of the control panel windows then select the HomeGroup and click on the Join now and then complete the full process.