Thread: Seven questions about imac and OS X

Seven questions about imac and OS X

I just got my first and have a few quick questions:

1. When Spotify is running in the background and itunes is turned off (not opened) and I use the keyboard to click play/pause works in Spotify while open and start itunes. How can I prevent iTunes from triggering when itunes is not already open?

2. How do I control which programs are affected by Iremote? I want to use it in Spotify and not in itunes.

3. Where will people write programs that we recommend on osx? I am familiar with Word 2007, and has now installed OpenOffice; it feels like I am on Word 1998. Is there Word application for osx which can also work on Windows?

4. How do I stop Quicktime from opening automatically .Avi files? I want to automatically open avi files with VLC.

5. Where can I see which applications are running on the computer? I understand that if you do not click "Cmd + q", not all apps close, but many disappear from the dock, and I, therefore, do not know whether they are active or not. It would be nice to know where I can see this.

6. Can we update drivers for the graphics card, etc. automatically (via regular mac updates ) on the imac?

7. If one is to delete a program or file properly, how should you proceed? Is it just drag the program from the folder, or must be via a remote Add/Remove program from the control panel in windows?

Re: Seven questions about imac and OS X

3. Depends on what kind of needs you have. Personally, I manage myself mostly with TextEdit and other simple text editors. If I should make something for print or PDF it works great on iWork.

4. Click on one .Avi file and select show info. At the bottom of the window, you have the options that you need.

5. Applications in the dock with a light during the ride cmd + q quit the active program. If the icon for the program is still in the dock it is because it is a shortcut. To see all open programs then use Activity Monitor (located in Applications> Utilities).

6. yes.

7. Just delete the program. There will inevitably be left behind some config files or something similar. There are programs that delete this too, but I can not think of what they called.

Regarding the word processor: Word 2008 is not quite the same as on Windows, but neither very far away. Which is best ... well, I dislike both strongly. For simple letters and other things I use Pages, I'll write longer I use either Scrivener or LaTeX.

To answer more directly to the question: Word 2008 is far better than OpenOffice equivalent.

4: - Right-click on the file and press Show info.
    - Go down to open with tab and choose VLC
    - Click on Change All. then all of the same type of file is opened in VLC:

Thank you. Text edit does not meet my requirements, but I'll check out iWorks.

@ Aleksandra: It was something that I had thought. I'm just been very used to the tab system, etc in the Office package, and that is what we use at college, so I'm wondering if there are similar applications that I will be able to take advantage of what I learned there.

@ Lillebror: Cordially. It was an odd place to put option, but it seems at least

I tried a long time via the "open"> "always open in", but it does not work at all.

To delete all configuration files etc to a program you can use AppZapper or CleanMyMac. The latter makes a lot of clearing, AppZapper is just uninstalling programs - also called "The Uninstaller Apple forgot." Very nice program that is worth to spend the money.

for first question, if you hold Shift while you press the Play / Pause etc your iTunes will not open. There is a hack that lets you escape the whole problem, but I think the Shift key is a complete solution.