Thread: How do I change the default installation

How do I change the default installation

Guys, I have a question about setting the Windows' default install directory. I have partitioned my hard drive to two parts. One of them with lesser memory has windows installed in it. When I install anything it install it in that directory. Now what I want is that I want to use some different directory as a default directory for the installation files and I also want to use some different 'temp' directory. I don't have any idea about this. Is it possible to do that? If yes then please post me the way to do that. Thank you.

Re: How do I change the default installation

Ya, I understood what you are trying to do. Here is one solution which I know but I can not give guarantee that this is going to work because I have not tried it any time. I found this solution on internet. Here is the solution for that:

Go to Run and type regedit and when you hit Enter, it will let you to Registry editor. Now you have to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. This is available at right side of the window. Search for the string ProgramFilesDir and you can modify this to your desired path.
    Last edited by Devasis; 22-09-2010 at 04:38 AM.

You have to follow the following steps to change the default installation directory:
    1. press Start+R to open Run box.
    2. Type regedit in that and press Enter.
    3. This will open Registry window.
    4. In the left panel go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion.
    5. Select ProgramFilesDir from that panel.
    6. right click on that and select modify.
    7. Change the value to your desired location.
    8. Click OK.

Now you are done with the process.

According to my experience, you should not change the default location for the program files. It will be better for you to left the files as it is. This may messed up the programs specially the Microsoft program. Programs like Internet Explorer, Office,etc can be affected. There will be no problem if you install your other programs to any other location. That was just a suggestion,PC is yours and you can do anything to it.

I am not getting the idea behind changing the program file directory. Why you wish to change the default directory? I think you are planning to install the programs to some other drive or partition. I don't think this will going to be a good decision. You should keep the files as they are by default. Changing the location will not going to improve the performance. If then also you want to change the location then you can follow the post above and that is the only way to do that.

Oh great, I have been looking for some guides regarding changing default installation. Now I can separate and organize my files, thanks for sharing.

Hi, I am going to install Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux. I want the default directory of the installation folder to be something different. The default folder is /opt/intel like /opt/local/intel. During installation it never asked for changing the installation directory. If I want to change the installation directory and give the serial number for this then it shows me the error message that --"Installation cannot generate a license folder”. I am running at root and root has the authorization to create /opt/intel/licenses directory but I want to change some different location as /opt/local/intel/. Can you tell me the way to do that?

Yes, you can do this. Just follow the instructions. First of all you have to create a directory /opt/local/intel/licenses. Make sure that it has permission to write the root and read others.
    • mkdir -p /opt/local/intel/licenses
    • chmod -R 744 /opt/local/intel

Now copy the your license file directory. Now again start the installation process an d this time when it ask for the serial number, don’t enter the number instead of number you have to paste the path for the license file. Now select the Custom installation. You can select the package to install and you have to select then all. Now you can setup the non install directory. Enter /opt/local/intel after choosing that option.

I am agree with the above post and it will definitely help you. But the problem is that if you don’t have the license file. You can go to registrationcenter.intel.com. Log in there and you will be able to see the products. There you have to click on the link "Intel(R) Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Linux*". It will let you to the page which has the serial number for you. You will see the Manage under the license, click on that and you will find the option for resend the license file to my email. Select that and you will get the license file.

hey, thank you very much for your replies. I was also wanted to do the same and I pasted the path for the license file instead of the serial key and it did the trick and I have changed the directory successfully. Anyone over here, who is searching for the same solution can try this and believe be it really works. Once again thank you very much for all replies.