Thread: Backblaze vs Mozy vs Carbonite vs Jungle Disk

Backblaze vs Mozy vs Carbonite vs Jungle Disk

I would like to improve my backup solution and so I need some help from you all. I have, until now, found four such solutions which fits to my requirement but I am unsure which is the best and hence my post over here. So according to you which is the best for online backup solution among Backblaze, Mozy, Carbonite, Jungle Disk? My backup data may go beyond 1TB. I am on Mac OS X 10.5.2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Backblaze vs Mozy vs Carbonite vs Jungle Disk

Backblaze is the simplest way to backup your computer files. It offers hassle-free unlimited online backup. In this you are also benefited by downloading a small application that installs in three clicks and doesn't require a credit card or any information to start using it. Since it compresses and securely encrypts them, the size of the data doesn't matter at all.

Mozy offers a number of backup solutions to fit your individual needs. For non-commercial backup of your personal files, including music, photos, home videos, and personal tax records, check out the simplicity of MozyHome. If you’re looking for a professional solution to back up business data, financial, and administrative files for multiple users, MozyPro is your best solution.

Mozy features unlimited space, support for all file type, protect your files with military-grade encryption and moreover it saves your time a lot.

I think Carbonite will be a better solution for you then any of others. The major advantage of this solution is that it installs a small application on your computer which works in the background hunting for new and/or changes occurred in your data and takes the back up of the same.

Carbonite Protects You From:
    1. Accidental Deletion
    2. Theft
    3. Disaster
    4. Drive Failure

Protect your files against loss, theft, viruses, and natural disasters with Jungle Disk backup solution. Share business data securely and privately in the office or across the globe. Sync your critical work across all your computers. Access your data from any web browser. You can do all of that and more, on the go, from anywhere, securely, with just a click.

I have used CrashPlan Central and Jungle Disk personally and according to my experience Jungle Disk provides better solution. Let me explain it how. CrashPlan Central allows you to upload at most 1 TB of data at a time to the server but that too costs a lot which is not accepted if you have limited budget. Jungle Disk, on the contrary, provides a cloud-based metered storage. It means all of your data will be stored once on its server and then it will be divided into chunks of files. Henceforth, it will only be uploading the files if there is any changes in the existing file or if it finds something new. Thus it saves your data backup time and thus cost.

Mozy is not recommended for Mac users since the software is still not available in its final version. The last version which I have used was 10.5.8 and the problem that I faced was that it failed to work sometime during backup process. Apart from what you have asked here, I have even tried out Crash Plan and it is much faster than Carbonite.

Mozy requires your input to perform the backup. You have to create a schedule time to start this process. The problem over here is that your data might be lost if your system crashes due to some reason before the scheduled task starts. This is overcome in Backblaze. It has a constant checkup and if it finds some good list of things to backup then it performs the process of backup procedure.

Dr. V Guest

Although Carbonite has a lot of advantages like unlimited flat fee storage, block level incremental backups,, file versioning, bandwidth throttling, no restriction on file size, easy install etc. but the problem with it is that it has no Mac support. Thus, Jungle Disk is better because it has multiple OS support (Linux / Mac / Windows) and also includes features like File Versioning, Opensource Client.

markcrusey Guest

Take the back up of all computer data is the main advantage of the carbonite.Crashplan works very well.By using carbonite each time a scheduled or manual backup started it erased all my files on the servers and uploaded them all over again.Simplest way of backup is the backblaze.