Thread: MS Word Content Error

MS Word Content Error

Hello,

I am writing a long document and I am at a point where I cannot add anything to the document. This means that any time I make any modification in the document or even add extra letter, the word file gets corrupt and I receive an error "the file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents". If I click on the error details button, there is a messga that says "The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag Location: Part/word/document.xml, Line 2, Column: 849812".

By reading different posts on internet, I changed the file extention to .zip and opened the document.xml in 'oxygen xml editor' (which I had to downlaod) and found out that unless i know how to program xml, there is no way i can fix this issue. I managed to locate the Line 2, Column 849812 that looks like </w:drawing></m:r><mc:Choice><mc:Fallback><w:pict><v:shape id="_x0000_s1086" type="#_x0000_t202"

Location 849812 is the '>' of the mc:Choice>

Did someone had a problem like this before ? How did you fix it ? Or is there anyone who can help me fix this problem please... This is a very important document and i have been pulling my hair out for the last few hours but couldnt do anything. I cannot post the file here due to its nature but I am happy to send it to someone if they can fix it.... You can open and read the file but as soon as you edit anything, the file goes corrupt....

Many Thanks
    Awais

Re: MS Word Content Error

Can you tell us what version of microsoft word are you using and also which version of Windows (XP, Vista?) it's hard to offer specifics, but have you tried the Open & Repair option? In the past, I have also experienced this error and was able to get rid of it, when I discovered that a Content Control had snuck itself inside another control, and deleted it!

Re: MS Word Content Error

I am using MS Word 2010 version: 14.0.4760.1000 (64-bit) on a ASUS Laptop Windows 7 (64-bit). Yes, I have tried open and repair from Open File dialog but the word couldn't resolve the errors.