Thread: software installation extension is not found in XP

software installation extension is not found in XP

Hello,
    I'm running windows XP professional and as microsoft said in it's Help and Support of xp and it's website we can use software installation snap-in in xp for assigning and publishing packages to users and computers.The Software Installation sub to the Software Settings snap-in in group poilicy is not available. No sub folders appear under Software Settings in either the Computer or User Configuration folders in the Group Policy editor.why? Can anyone help

Re: software installation extension is not found in XP

I think that it could look like a problem with the share (permissions)

Have a look at this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302430

Or try the below steps which would help you in some cases:

start -> Run -> gpupdate /force (does this when ever you update group policy)

start -> Run -> regedit ( hkey_user.defaultcurrentcontrolsetSCRNSAVE.EXE --change to cmd.exe (this will open a command prompt before you log into windows)

start -> Run -> regedit ( hkey_user.defaultcurrentcontrolsetScreenSaveTimeOut --change to 30 (30 seconds for cmd.exe to launch)

do all your testing try accessing the file

sad Re: software installation extension is not found in XP

This link that you provided applies to Windows 2000 and 2003 server while i am talking about windows XP,meanwhile i am using an account with administrative previledge in xp and it is not connected to a network so permission is not a problem in this case too

Are you using the OEM version of XP Embedded. Do these OEM images have EWF or FBWF in them? If so have you turned them off? Can you open a command windows? If so try entering ewfmgr.exe and/or fbwfmgr.exe, if these applications run then one of these filters are in the image. I have also heard that the software installation extension has not been included in this image
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    Are you using the OEM version of XP Embedded. Do these OEM images have EWF or FBWF in them? If so have you turned them off? Can you open a command windows? If so try entering ewfmgr.exe and/or fbwfmgr.exe, if these applications run then one of these filters are in the image. I have also heard that the software installation extension has not been included in this image
    what are you talking about? it has nothing to do with enabling Software Installation extension appears in group policy