Thread: Vaio Z12 - boot menu/choose boot device, how?

Vaio Z12 - boot menu/choose boot device, how?

On Vaio Z, how can one access the BIOS boot device? I know about the other laptops. It is F2 for Dell, it is ESC and then F9 for HP. Actually, at first, my system was on the network, and it used to boot from there, now the server, is replaced. For the time being however I want to install Windows XP on it, and I cannot go to the boot menu. I am really not getting the way for going towards the boot section. Please help.

Re: Vaio Z12 - boot menu/choose boot device, how?

Whether you were on the network or you are not you will have no problem, while you are installing the Operating System. Well you know how to boot in other laptops, if you want to go with the Sony Vaio Z, you can enter the BIOS setup, by pressing the F2 key. Once you get an entry you can change the boot order. Post and let me know what happened.

Is this that simple? I can not find a boot menu, where I can temporarily change the boot device for one instance. I think that there is no such boot menu in this laptop, and I think that this would be the first laptop I've ever seen that lacks this most basic function. I have my Windows 7 in the USB stick, I also tried changing the external boot device to be the first device. Now the trouble with this is that when Win7 finishes loading, instead of starting from the SSD it boots from my USB stick again. Please suggest a solution.

I would suggest you to give a try to the F11 key. When you will press the F11 key at first it will not show anything. After pressing F11, it will randomly boot from other device. As per the priority, I think the priority goes in this manner, first USB then DVD and then Hard Disk. If it is again and again booting from the USB then I think that you can press the F11 key and it will choose the next option. So the HD stays first in the BIOS.

There is no other way that I know that I can suggest you. Once the Operating System is installed, it will automatically give you the option to boot from the USB drive when you press any key, but if you did not press any key then it will start booting from the SSD. Since Vista Windows has worked in this way. When the System starts it will give a menu that will say "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD".