Thread: VMware Converter to OVF Problem

VMware Converter to OVF Problem

I am in a processor of converting some physical machines to virtual. For that I am using VMware Converter version 3.0.3 to convert some physical machines to virtual machines. I had converted a number of virtual machines but recently I had noticed some error when I was using the OVF tool to convert them into OVF files to import into ESX3i. At 99% of the ovf process it fails with the following message saying Failed to read data from the extent: machine-flat.vmdk.

Re: VMware Converter to OVF Problem

In VMware Server 2 can not just migrate existing virtual machines, but it is also possible to create appropriate image files of new virtual machines. This way you can images (Images) physically existing systems use to create new guest systems. Thus, with the VMware Converter can also an image file as a basis for the virtualization of a physical machine to be used. Try to start your process from beginning.

Ovf is an image file which works in Vmware. So it is possible that either the format or the some files are corrupted or missing which is causing the issue. Does there is enough space in the hard drive for that. After selecting the image file you specify which hard drives or partitions to be converted from the image and make sure that there is enough space on the disc.

To import a guest in the form of an image file in VMware Server 2, the corresponding image will of course initially created on the physical machine. To import an image file must be in the Wizard of VMware Converter to the appropriate location (Source Type) Other option can be selected. Can then be selected an appropriate option for the image file.

It is possible that ovf files are not properly packed which are causing the issue. The container packs OVF virtual machine formats own hypervisors from VMware (VMDK), Citrix, Microsoft and Virtual Iron (VHD) as well as KVM, selected by Red Hat (qcow for QEMU Copy-On-Write). FVO adds the description of the parameters necessary for the allocation of resources for their operation.

Someone has already ovf experience with the new. Format of VMWare to run existing VMs on one ESX / ESXi Server leave. This was offered by VMware OVF Tool, I do not get to work. Are there viable alternatives and you can try some other options too when you face this error for one particular conversion. I think this looks like some file issue which either corrupt or missing.

The aim of the OVF format is to facilitate porting a virtual machine from one environment to an environment competitor, even if there is not always possible. In the OVF files, it also has information on compatibility of virtual machines. Initially, this will simply mean that a portable OVF file contains two or three disk images of the same virtual machine and therefore the virtual machine is compatible with any environment.