Thread: Dual Boot Windows 7 and Fedora 13

Dual Boot Windows 7 and Fedora 13

Hello,
    I want to dual boot Fedora 13 with Windows 7, Windows 7 is first installed and they use the Windows bootloader. I can dual boot together, but when I take the ghost image and after I install fedora that the image does not start. How do I solve this problem dual boot? Please guide me with this. Thank you.

Re: Dual Boot Windows 7 and Fedora 13

Here is a proposal, and it is strictly a proposal. If you ghost a machine it took this image and install it on another machine. At the same time, all the startup information of the original machine Fedora is also copied to the new machine. Since Fedora boot sequence uses the UUID of the partitions I suggest that is where the error lies. The UUID of the partition Fedora on the new computer is different from the UUID of the partition of Fedora on the original computer. Therefore, I suggest manually replace the UUID with the correct value.

A couple of questions just to see if I understand correctly.

1. If I have a hard drive failure and replace the hard drive and restore from a backup, I will not be able to boot from until edit / boot / grub / grub.conf to have the new UUID for the partition of I 'm starting?

2. How long has it been so? I do not remember UUID in / boot / grub / grub.conf invited to look up when I read this thread. They were not in my grub installation F11, but I can use LVM. Does it matter?

3. Assuming it has not always been so, why change it?

1. I suspect not. I had similar problems with UUID / not boot. I suggest you check the UUID of the partition and ensure that the same thing in the bootloader.

2. It was introduced in Fedora 9 or 10 I think. I just looked at a box that Fedora 12 will use LVM UUID and not part of the startup configuration for whatever it's worth.

Probably the / etc / fstab and what is by now too UUID. (Which no doubt refers to 3 and coherence). One thing that probably is that you can mess with the allocation of other partitions on the disk that could lead to changes in the / dev / sd <whatever> designation of existing Linux partitions and it will not spoil grub and / etc / fstab file. I had this case in the past and created a mess.

I installed Windows 7 first, then I installed Fedora 13 on the same disk, but another partition that Windows 7 dev/sda1 and dev/sda2 is Fedora 13. I did not exchange or boot partition for Fedora 13 Only / partition I have. while the installation configuration of Fedora I installed fedora bootloader (grub) to the first sector of dev/sda2 (not MBR). After the installation of Windows only 7 boots well and I can not boot Fedora 13. Thus, in rescue mode, I copied the first sector Fedora partition (/ dev/sda2), 512B is a bin file .. Then, with the help file. Bin i editted windows bootloader and add 7. Bin boot file. After all that I could see the operations of Windows Fedora 7 and 13 on the boot and all boots well .. So far there is no problem. But after taking my ghost image of this pc and deploy that image to another fedora on the same PC will not start. I can see the option to boot Fedora, but has failed to start. So I decided to write a startup script (I'm not very good at writing script for my friend to write it for me ). after the image deployment script runs automatically and modify the Windows bootloader. This script includes the same parameters of command line operating systems i use dual boot both. It works without imaging, but it does not work on PC imaged. Again I can see the option to boot Fedora, but it does not start anyway Fedora. So I think that Norton Ghost does destroying the partition table linux? or any other advice?