Thread: Windows Explorer Status Bar: does not show file size

Windows Explorer Status Bar: does not show file size

Hi, I want to ask you a very irritating problem that I cannot see the total size of the folder in Windows Explorer. If you open any window and select any folder init then the status bar should show the total size of that folder and how many files are there in that folder. but in my case I am not able to see all those details.

This actually becomes irritating in recycle bin. Do you have any idea for fixing this issue?

Re: Windows Explorer Status Bar: does not show file size

It should show the file size on the status bar. There may be some setting problem in your system. Your "Show preview and filters" may be disabled by you by mistake. You can enable this by very easily. Go to Computer and click on organize. You will see a drop down menu and you have to select "Folder and search options". There you should check whether "Show preview and filters" option is enabled or nor. If not then check "Show preview and filters" and click on apply.

I think you are talking about 'infobar'. Status bar is still present at the bottom of the window. you can turn it on if desired. status bar is useless because it shows the number of files that any folder contains. Staus bar doesn't show the file size of any file or folder. I think you are a bit confused between status bar and infobar. You should have infobar to see the size of any file or folder.

This is true that your Windows explorer shows the file size of the selected file. But this will only work if you are selecting files between 1 to 15 and if you select files more than 15 then it will not show you the total size of the files. It will show you 'click for more details' in the preview pane if you select more than 16 files. You can try it on any computer. Is there anyone who can give setting for showing file size always.

I was also thinking the same thing that why the status bar is not showing me any information about file size But finally I got the result that status bar doesn't show the file size. If you have any file in the roof then it will not show you the file size. But if we can change the window state or open a folder in a drive and come back to root drive then status bar will show the size. It is strange and is definitely a BUG.

There is an interesting bug in Windows and you can check out that from following steps:

• Open My computer, go to view and select status bar.
    • Now close my computer.
    • Once again open my computer and don’t maximize restore or minimize the Window.
    • Now open any drive that contains at least one file.
    • Select any file from that drive and your status bar will show “1 object selected” and nothing else.
    • Now if your window is in normal state (restore), then maximize it.
    • Once again select the same file and you will see that file size is displayed on the status bar

This feature is actually missing from XP and they should bring it back. I don’t think that anyone has thought about it or they thought that no one will be interested in old status bar because new one may be more powerful for them. They have missed some data that has to be implemented in order to show the file size.