Thread: Backup files from one drive to another

Backup files from one drive to another

Hello,
    I want to backup my folders from my Windows box to an external hard drive .But this require a batch file to be written and i do not have any knowledge of creating or writing a batch file. Can someone help me for this problem.

Re: Backup files from one drive to another

You need to use XCOPY command.I am giving an example for solving this problem.If you want to have a backup of all the files from (xyz folder) D drive to E drive you need to create a xyz folder in E drive and then you write the syntax :-XCOPY D:\abc\*.* E:\abc\ /C /S /D /Y /I and save it with .bat extension to create a batch file.Now you have to right click on it and run it.Your problem will be solved.

What i feel is that we cannot copy files directly from one drive of pc to another drive .There is another solution for this problem.We can use a pen drive for this purpose ,first connect it to the pc then copy file in the pen drive and after that delete it from your pc .After this being done now copy that file in another drive.

I have used the batch file technique for copying the files from one folder to another folder .But there was a problem with it , that the batch file copies all the files from one folder to another folder every time it runs.So it creates multiple copies of same folder in the drive.This procedure is not so effective ,so suggest me some other methods for copying the files.

As your problem is not solved using batch file technique ,so you can use the image copy method.Image copy method is the best method to copy contents from one drive to another drive.In this method we make a image copy of the file to be copied using Nero and after that place it into the drive in which you want to place.This solution will definitely solve your problem