Thread: Is 64 bit Linux Mint or Ubuntu really not a good choice

Is 64 bit Linux Mint or Ubuntu really not a good choice

I observed on the Ubuntu download page that at situate where you select 32 or 64 bit, the below seems by the choices:
    1. 32 bit: suggested for the majority of users
    2. 64 bit: Not suggested for each day desktop usage

I was fairly surprised to discover this, but my personal experience with Ubuntu stands out the understanding of that recommendation. Is there anything regarding Mint which would make the similar warning not valid?

Re: Is 64 bit Linux Mint or Ubuntu really not a good choice

I utilize Mint x64, and have had no difficulty with it either. That being said, there are motionlessly a few software out there that are presented just in 32 bit, or have truly unbalanced 64 bit versions. Adobe Flash is an outstanding instance. While it comes to hardware, certain makers may still exclusively present 32 bit drivers for their products. As well, a 64 bit Operating system naturally utilizes 30 to 35 percent additional RAM for the similar processes than its 32 bit complement, but you possibly previously have ample of RAM if you are considering going 64 bit.

Not all propaganda is intended to be hateful, sometimes it is just unawareness. In the case of the 32 bit vs. 64 bit discuss the opposite supporters are frequently so ingrained that agreement and acceptance may not at all take place. On a private note I utilize 64 bit distro and apps while existing and presently don't have any grave anxieties or troubles. My recommendation is the entire time attempt both versions observe which one you like the most excellent and go with that.

Anything regarding Mint, which would make the similar warning not valid? I would not even call it a caution, it is just a part of data to consider, and whether it is information you will utilize or not is completely up to you. There is completely not anything incorrect with utilizing a 64bit Linux version; and Linux has had a 64 bit kernel existing stretched than any additional group. You can do extra with a 64 bit Operating system than a 32 bit Operating system, if you have the suitable resources existing and you have an application which validates it, so for big scale image processing, rendering, compiling, and a variety of other applications, it works and works well.

I think the statement is made extra in an informative than warning vein. 64 bit Operating systems are immense for computationally concentrated applications but not actually needed for day to day PC use. 64 bit systems need more RAM for the similar processes than 32 bit due to 64 bit memory addresses and 64 bit data words. The CPU will effort a bit harder processing all those 64 bit signs, this will cause more heating. It may be least but it is there. I have not established 64 bit Mint to be appreciably quicker than 32 bit Mint on my systems. Obviously, I don't push either Operating system hard so I may not observe the speed benefits lots of 64 bit users report.

That depends. If one has 64 bit hardware, has 4GB (or more) RAM, and does heavy photo editing, use VirtualBox (my case), or uses any RAM intensive app, then I suggest going for 64 bit Mint/Ubuntu. This would apply to most any OS, regardless of brand.

In that type of setting, a real 64 bit install is preferable over a 32 bit install with PAE enabled. PAE does work, but if one needs 4GB (or more) RAM, then go for it. It's faster & the overall computing experience is better.

However, for those who has 3GB (or less) RAM, then 32 bit Mint/Ubuntu is quite fine. Even those with 4GB RAM, who does not use RAM intensive apps, can get by quite well with the 32 bit version of Mint/Ubuntu. I ran the 32 bit version of both for over 2 years.

Hope that my first post here has been of some help.

Cat