Thread: My Mac desktop is slow

My Mac desktop is slow

Hello,
    I have a mac pro for two months now. It has 2GB of memory and 250 GB of space. Unfortunately, it is quite slow since one week. I have programs who took 5 seconds to open and which now lasts me a little over a minute. What I most fear is that my Garage band will not open. I do not know exactly what to do now. Please help me with this now. Thank you.

Re: My Mac desktop is slow

I did have the same problem, I just reinstalled mac os x like new but now I was wondering because I have another problem. I had to delete my account but I kept the files. Unfortunately, when I create a new account, I do not have access to my old files, and even repairing permissions. Someone can help me with this please?

Too bad you should have done an install and archive files at the same time. You would have had a nine OS keeping all your data and configuration. Things are much simpler on the Mac. You kept the files on an external drive? If you have done so then it will be easier for you to mentain them in future.

It is much easier. But people are so used to crap on Windows, they try to troubleshoot the same way. And that's the big mistake. When you have a bit of culture Mac, this kind of system admin it takes five times faster than Windows (and it has been 25 years since I use both brands in parallel, I am also a developer and admin time to time). If your system has a big worry on the Mac, and you have to reinstall, you do an installation type install and archive. That way you do not lose any personal data, any program, you kept all your preferences, and in total you have 5 or 6 clicks, no time to reinstall (or bump it alone) to find you a brand new OS (even your old OS is put in a backup directory). I can tell you that this is not like that at all under Windows (and always). You're good for a half day of resettlement (as I often do at work). Already beginning to know OS X, instead of out of that only shows critical gap in your knowledge. The biggest problem with switcheurs is that they want to do "on PC. No, Mac OS is far less boring. Want another example: my application server print job to just let go (motherboard burned out), there are plenty of things on it (our business apps, apache server, birt, etc. ...). You take the DD, you put it in another PC, well, you can always ask for it to boot directly above, because requirement an install of Windows is made for a particular device (not counting the problem of license numbers that do not exist at Apple because they have confidence in the user). It would've been a Mac I put the SD in another machine, and presto it was left, because a Mac install, contains everything needed to manage all the Macs hard. So it loads at boot you need for the Mac that detects HUGE gain time. Windows only serves to justify a large support team, to fatten the computer services. If it was true of TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) in the box, Windows never would have been so far. Ultimately, trying 2 minutes on the Internet, it would have found this solution, and it would be finished. The problem that remains is very simple. The files belong to another user (the old one did), they are rights unix, just change them with an administrator account information in the dossier to the highest by a recursive change, or possibly shell unix with chmod-R and chown-R.

If your Mac is slow then it means that the hard drive has accumulated files that are never used for any programs. It must have accumulated duplicate files that are created if you use two mac or during its upgrade. You need to delete all these files. Also declutter your desktop and delete all the unnecessary files. If you are not sure which ones to delete and which ones to leave, then download tidy up mac to get rid of the problem.