Thread: My 500Gig External USB Hard Drive not recognized by 64 bit Win 7

My 500Gig External USB Hard Drive not recognized by 64 bit Win 7

I have 64 bit Windows 7 Operating System running on my system and have a WD External HD that I have been using for the past 8 months on my OS Win 7 32 Bit laptop. It works all right on 32 bit, but when I attach it to 64 bit OS of Windows 7, and then my OS Win 7 fails to identify it and says "USB not recognized". The Disk Management is not showing the External Disk at all. There are no letter Conflicts between Laptop Drive and the External Drive separation. I have updated using Windows Update, and have installed the Hotfix from the Microsoft support. The Drive is Working fine; it’s an OS of Win 7 64 Bit Problem. Please suggest a fix for this so that my External Drive can work properly.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Dr. V Guest

Re: My 500Gig External USB Hard Drive not recognized by 64 bit Win 7

Hi,
    Is your Hard Disk requiring the extra power supply when you connect it to your system? Or if you find an Unknown Device in the Device manager list, your trouble should be caused by the driver or the damaged USB port in your system. Please connect your Hard Disk through another port as a test and then your Win 7 Operating System will start running on your system along with the WD External Hard Disk.

Yeah, the problem you are having is very easily being recovered; just you have check all the connection setting of both the device properly without any mistake. Because I have also gone through the same kind of problem with my external hard disk during the connection at a very first time with my computer.

Do you check your external hard disk properly by connecting with another computer system? Have you tried to test a flash drive on your machine? It's better to update your Chipset driver for your system first. In addition, you can go to relate with the hotfix for your system although your hard drive is not recognized; you can download it from the Microsoft support.

I have gone through this problem, so one of my friend has given me some steps to follow and by that I have cleared from my problems. The First, thing you have to do is remove total USB devices. And then, go through the following steps:

1. Press Start Menu on your system, then go to My Computer right Click on it, select the Properties go to Device Manager. Click Continue if necessary.

3. In Device Manager, press Tab and apply the "Up" and "Down" to shift, you can see the "USB Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it. Then push it "Down" to shift to the first choice and push "Delete" to remove it. Repeat this step and uninstall all items below the "USB Controllers". After that, please test again by connecting to the system.