Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Group Policy settings faults in XP

Operating Systems

Old 01-09-2010

sad Group Policy settings faults in XP

when i set Disable Windows Installer policy setting to Enabled in Local
Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Components\Windows Installer folder of Group Policy then in Drop-Down box choose Never,still i can't install software by limited user accounts also in this folder i set Always install with elevated priviledges to Enabled and after logging off and logging on to user account i still can't install software by windows installer

Old 01-09-2010

Re: Group Policy settings faults in XP

I dont understand whether you want to disable or enable the Windows Installer policy setting? You can also configure this setting on a per-use basis by navigating to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Installer. When you enable the setting in either area, it overrides any "Disabled" setting.
Old 01-09-2010

I meant after i set this option to Disabled then in Drop-Down box choose Never then i can't install softwares in windows by user accounts while this option gives permission to limited users that install softwares, how didn't u understand this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (97.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg untitled1.JPG (25.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Mohammad_dn : 01-09-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2010

Disable Windows Installer disables or restricts the use of Windows Installer. This policy can prevent users from installing software on their system, or permit users to install only those programs offered by an administrator. If you enable this policy, you can use the options in the Disable Windows Installer dialog box to establish an installation policy.

Never - Windows Installer is fully enabled. Users can install and upgrade software. Windows Installer is enabled by default in Windows.

For non-managed apps only - Users can install only those programs that an administrator assigns (offers on the desktop) or publishes (adds to Add or Remove programs).

Always - Windows Installer is disabled.
Old 02-09-2010

I Enabled this option and set it to Never in Drop-Down box then i clicked OK but after i logged on to a limited account and opened the setup file to install the software, it didn't install just it returned "You need administrator priviledge to instal this software" error message,why? try it yourself and see the result
Old 02-09-2010

I assume if you are using the Windows XP Prettified User interface then use the

start --> run
control userpasswords2

Interface.

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
Old 02-09-2010

Thank you.Actually the answer that you provided solves this problem but you didn't tell me why this option doesn't work?
This limited account by becoming a power user can install softwares without administrator priviledges but what about Disable Windows Installer group policy option? why it doesn't work? it is not sensible making a limited account a power user and giving it more systemwide priviledge while there is exactly a setting in Group Policy that gives this access to limited users
So why can't i install software by limited accounts by setting Disable Windows Installer setting to Never? this policy is a haux presented to people and it is not working at all dears,congratulations

Last edited by Mohammad_dn : 02-09-2010 at 10:13 PM.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,