Thread: How to choose linux distribution

How to choose linux distribution

Hello,
    I am a user of windows operating system and I am currently trying to learn linux operating system at home. But the problem is that I can not just select a linux distribution that is suitable for me. So, my question is how do one select a linux distribution for his / her own purpose? Any kind of help regarding this topic is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: How to choose linux distribution

For a beginner, I would recommend Ubuntu instead. The community is super responsive and distribution is easy to approach. Now, Mandriva and Fedora are pretty good and user friendly. If you wish you can start with them.

GNU / Linux is a completely different system of Windows. And so you'll have to learn this new system, because under Gnu / Linux, some things will not happen as easily as on Windows, and you should document yourself or get help to solve some problems. And if you do not want to put some hands in the "dirty", it is better to stay on Windows. But it's worth it, because GNU / Linux is a great system. To finish, it is also preferable to test multiple distributions in order to make a good choice (best suited to a beginner are: Ubuntu and others (including Linux Mint), OpenSuse, Fedora and Mandriva). I tested over a dozen before finding one that suited me.

For my part, I'm not quite a beginner in linux, I think. I started using linux in 2001 with 8.0 Mandriva (Mandrake), through opensuse 9.1 (suse) in 2004 to finish today by opensuse 11.1. Having said all that, despite this, the management of the wifi can be a real pity given that despite the proprietary drivers are installed. On openSUSE 11.1 can not I connect the wifi, wpa2 ip in static or dynamic tools by default opensuse. Only solution, through another tool for wicd does not quote. Sometimes you have to be much more a beginner to try to run a particular function and still looking pretty good. If distributions are more modern compared with those of 2000, it still sometimes quite a ways to go compared to other systems.

Without hesitation Mandriva Linux Power Pack, this is the only first of this kind and owner drivers if you use proprietary hardware are present which is not the case with Ubuntu linux. suse is not bad but were no longer fully open source is a sauce to the Windows. I prefer KDE but it is a choice, you can also install even gnome.

The mandriva powerpack is it that most opensource opensuse? I do not think. The powerpack installs proprietary drivers from the installation, with opensuse, it must be installed by adding the deposits. The opensuse 11.1 is opensource (no drivers Owners) in the first start, later it depends on the user's choice. That said, I think that mandriva powerpack (but not free) is the simplest for a beginner, everything is installed right after installation.