Thread: backitup can't restore some files

backitup can't restore some files

Hi Friends,
    I had a hard drive crash and I restored the system to backup my files. But after restoring I found that is does not restore all the files. There were total 13 nba files which restored successfully. I don’t know the reason why those files are not restored. Some of the files were 2-3 years old some files were recently created.

Please advise me if I can back up those files or they are gone forever.

Re: backitup can't restore some files

You can use backup utility to restore your files. There are a few simple steps you have to follow to restore files.

Step 1: start the Backup utility.
    Click on start button and click Run it will show you one small dialog box. Then type ntbackup.exe and press Enter.

Step 2: Select items to back up and select the location for the backup file
    Click advance mode and go to back up tab. On the job menu click new and check the drive you want to backup. Select system state under my computer navigation pane. Click back up destination if available

Step 3: Start the Back up.
    Click Start Backup to open the Backup Job Information dialog box now Click Advanced. Select the Verify data after backup check box.
    In the Backup Type box, click the kind of backup
    • Normal
    • Copy
    • Incremental
    • Differential
    • Daily
    Click OK, and then click Start Backup. A Backup Progress dialog box is displayed, and the backup starts.

Step 4: Exit the Backup utility
    Click close when back up complete and on job menu click Exit.

To use the backup utility you should know that how to install backup utility. You can install Backup utility from the windows XP CD:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive or DVD drive of the computer.
    2. Now click on Exit Button .
    3. Locate the CDDrive:\ValueAdd\Msft\Ntbackup folder on the CD.
    4. Double-click Ntbackup.msi and it will start installing the Backup utility.
    5. Click Finish when the Backup or Restore Wizard prompts you.
    6. Take your Windows XP CD out.

Now you have installed the backup utility, You can now back up your important back up.

If by using Backup utility also you are not able to get your files, you can directly use Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site. You will definitely get solution of your problem there. You will also get more information about how to back up your information on your computer.
    You can contact support on http://support.microsoft.com/contactus

Don’t lose your hope; you can still restore your files. Connect your hard drive to some other computer and run the restore wizard. There may be problem with your computer that’s why it is not able to backup the complete files. You can take the help of your friend’s computer to do that. If it gets restored successfully then you can take your back up from that PC.

Most of the people don't know that when you delete any file from your hard drive it is not actually deleted. system just removes pointer from that file. It get completely deleted when some other file overwrites that memory space. Restoring any file basically means again assigning pointer to that location. The files you are not getting may be replaced by some other files.

maria.sizer Guest

You can restore all your data, try to connect your hard drive with some external device and connect with restore wizard. If you still faces, the problem then go for data recovery software or data recovery services. They will help you out from this situation.