Thread: How do I move an installed XP to another HDD

How do I move an installed XP to another HDD

If I have a XP installed, with drivers and programs, how can I move that installation to a new hard drive without getting the blue screen? When it has the same configuration, the same devices, only that the system unit would be different.I want to know if I can copy an XP installation from one HDD to another. Is it possible to do this if yes then suggest me how to do.

Re: How do I move an installed XP to another HDD

Actually all the major drive manufacturers have a free utility designed to do just that. It is called cloning the drive. You will need to have both drives connected at the same time for moving OS from one HDD to another. Moving an existing installation of Windows is theoretically possible, but it is risky. Due to this many things may go wrong,it may put you back from where you have started.So the ultimate answer to your question is no, I think it is not possible I would not recommend attempting to move the installed XP from one hard drive to another.

As you want to transfer the installed XP to the other harddisk for this you have to make clone of your installation file to the new drive and after ward you have to run the fixboot this fixbooting may cause loss of the data in the previous HDD so you have to store that data in the external drive or DVD. Try this may help you out of this problem.

To move XP from one drive to another you have to do the following things download the drvimageXP it make a byte by byte copy of your hard drive and it is free to download.For the copying of XP you have to format your new HDD and then run drvimageXP to make the copy now make a hard disk's jumper to make new one(copy of XP).In case of this you can make a boot disk and should bootup without any problem. Now explore my computer and go to tools/ folder option/ view /select show hidden files and folders and uncheck the hide protected OS files than run a search for boot.ini.,ntldr, and ntdetect. Save them to disk this would be your boot disk. this may help you.
    Last edited by Joshua; 28-08-2010 at 07:27 PM.

This copying of installed XP to another HDD can be done only by using Norton ghost or casper xp, drive to drive. Then partition magic 8 to resize the partitions. Or you can use the DrvimageXP.I have never tried this and it possible theoratically not practically I am not sure but it may work.You can get drvimageXP from here softnews.ro/public/cat/13/2/13-2-39.shtml.