Thread: Run win 7 on ubuntu

Run win 7 on ubuntu

Hey friends, I just want to ask one query. So as the title says, Currently I am working on ubuntu, I want play game so for that I want to install windows 7 on ubuntu, basically for the gaming and surfing the net at the same time. I have a good rig, i7, 3GB ram, 4870 1GB. Currently I have installed windows 7 and all set up to nicely, I will install ubuntu 10.04 soon but is possible to run windows 7 in virtual machine inside ubuntu ? And what kind of performance my pc will give when it will run alone on windows 7for gaming ?

Re: Run win 7 on ubuntu

I have also installed VMWare on a Ubuntu 10.04 VM that is on my work PC, I have also installed windows 7. The answer is yes - presuming you have a license for the 'guest' OS that you're installing as the virtual memory.I can't say anything about gaming performance whether it is gainin or lacking.Extent of my 'gaming' is FreeCell...which reminds me, I haven't played.You might find that it may be better to multi-boot the computer. So it will help you.

Whatever you have replied really thanks for that. But really I am not sure what you mean by license for the guest operating system, I need a licence key for windows 7? The one I currently have installed ? I think I am going to try it, is there any guide on how to use my current operating system and virtual operating system under the ubuntu ? So please reply for this.

I will tell you yhe solution which I know in that the 'guest' os would de the os of the VM. And in the 'host' OS is the one that runs the VM application. And think of it in the same sort of way that a server can host files. and about the license issue, it depends on the version you have installed on that computer. And if you bought it separately from a computer, then it should be okay. And if your computer come pre-installed with W7 then you have an OEM version, and run it possibly into lcensing issue. License may require to be running on the physical computer. Personally I want to tell you thatI would go with VMware. Which I am able to installusing APT.

I am also facing the same problem but I have to tell you that in my pc windows 7 is running 64 bit, it wasn't pre installed, and I have built the rig with myself and installed the os, will also installed ubuntu 64bit. I have tried it but as you have posted in your comment that you can imagine it not being perfect, I have already have a few triple boot system but I have never thought of running 7 inside linux before thought I might try it out and get the best of both worlds at the same time. I think I will soon get the solution from one of you guys. Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Bon-Z; 28-08-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

You have to do one thing that you might want to do as you do try multi-booting ms and Linux. You may find it less of a problem if you run it on two HDDs: one for ubuntu and one for ms - as it means you are not like to have to boot the loader or GRUB when switching between the OS versions.if you're just running ms you just need to install it oldest first and in last the newest last.

Ok, If it is a main gaming rig, so why don't you try to boot it by the other way round. And then use the window 7 as a main operating system and then boot with ubuntu as the secondary via virtual memory. Then it would make a ton more sense, then you don't have to loose the performance for gaming and after that it gives you the linux option also. So it will solve your problem.